Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as alot of you know I work at a lumber yard, doing everything from sales to working in the yard and doing deliveries, Ive been there for about 2 years and 5 months or sooo. and Its getting old, I mean headaches all the time. people contracters, walk in customers, the owners of the place, his kids that work there, annnnnnnnnnd have it all made for them, like today Ive sold over 10grand of building materials, and its kinda slow, but still busy as all hell if that makes sence.

anyways awhile back I got a job offer to come and work as mechanic at shop. auto shop, where they work on everything from geo metros to the acasional semi. they pretty much do everything. Id be starting out at 10 an hour full time. Ive already got pretty decent set of tools that I aquired while working as motorcycle mechanic for about 2 years. and I know these guys pretty well wich would makes it easy to jump right in and fit in with them. also I already have my mac and snapon accounts wich Ive been dieing to use but realy have no use getting those kinds of tools till this deal popped up.

so what do you think, take the wrench job with alittle better pay with weekends off and a place to work on my truck, well I work on it there anyways.

Ive pretty well decided but wanted to see what everyone thought and I guess I wanted to vent some.

thankx
Evan

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
The automotive mechanic job is a pressure cooker too, maybe more than the lumber yard. At the yard you can screw up and leave out a couple of 2 X 6's that should have gone to a job, but at the shop if you make a mistake it could wreck somebody's engine that the shop would have to make good.
Also, crabby customers are LEGION in the vehicle repair business; trucks included. Everybody wants a miracle for the price of a sandwich.

G

·
I would think mecheneking would be better in my opinion. Probably a little more secluded form the customers from what I see where Joe works. The boss handles the custer and then gived teh work to whomever in the shop so you can just get to it and fix it.

G

·
i guess you decided to go for the new mech job. that's what i'd do. the experience you gain will be invaluable. can't say that about wood and nails.
and a place to work on your truck? right on man!
always a good place to meet women too.
seems you'd see more women having car problems than you would buying lumber. that's just a perk. a benefit even!

G

·
well its hard to expsain, though I find myself out in the yard behind a counter or behind a computer figureing orders ahhhhhhh today I was on the lift alll day wich was great, I took the time to get a few things of my chest called a friend, wich helped more then she knows, ahhh anyways.
Ill hit up hte shop owner tonight and hopefully start moving toools my box n stuff into the shop hmmmmmm if that aint wishfule thinking

thankx
Evan

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well looks like Ill be working part time at the shop wich puts me back to 7 days a weeeeeeeeeeeek ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I cant turn it down though, things didnt work out wich is why he quit bugging me about it, but I could wrok part time if I wanted, wich Im sure will get closer to full tiime since Ill just work late and weekends as much as possible.

and this is more money for me havein two jobs, though it doenst solve my problem at the yard

thankx
Evan

how does the server keep switching on me like this, I didnt even log out, atleast as far as can tell

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Switch

Obviously, you have 2 identities and it appears you've logged in both of them with one computer. (You are still on the same one that you posted as Evan03, right?) If so, you have cookies for BOTH identities and the site is just picking one to use each time you connect. Try to find & delete one of them, or log out, or clear all your cookies, and log in again with your preferred username.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Switch

yeah same browser and computer and I didnt log out, well I did have to log in about 3 days ago and could remeber the password to Evan03 and not The_Kid and it looks like right now its back to the kid, hmmmm ohhhhhh well there both good and its usualy on this one, and I think I may decide to get rif of this one sometime

Evan

·
Registered
578 Posts

Heres my take on being a tech. Money is good in the summer, way sucks in the winter especially around Christmas when you really need the cash. Everyone and their brother will ask you to do side jobs for them "to save a few bucks". People always think if there is a problem with their car after they left, it must be your fault (Not like its necessary to put fuel in your tank to make the car run). Your hands will look like you ran them through a cheese grater after a while, you will need to keep some type of lotion on your hands or they will beging to crack and bleed just trying to make a fist. Oh, and wear hearing protection around air tools. Your hearing does take a beating.

I did enjoy working on cars, great feeling of accomplishment when you can fix a car right and the customer appreciates your good work. Get to drive all sorts of different cars, and the pay was pretty good.

In my opinion, doing electrical and differentials is the way to go. No too many people out there specialize in that area, and if learned as an art, you can walk into anyplace and get a job for whatever you are asking for pay.

Just my .02... take it or leave it.........

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

I agree, I've been fixing and restoring cars "on the side" for about 14 yrs now, and it sucks at times, I also do remodels "on the side"(buy it, fix it, sell it). Remodeling houses is soo much easier (and wwaayy more mula) than workin on cars. I wouldn't mind working on cars if for 1, it's mine 2, don't need it to get to work the next day

Here's my 10 cents, my 2 cents is free

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.