Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to put a small block mopar into my 78 cj7.I intend to take the output from a Jeep 727 mate it to a mopar 727 and bolt it to a Dana 300. Has anyone done this who can offer advice about pitfalls to avoid? Any suggestion about exhaust manifolds/headers? I know everyone makes kits for chevys but I want a Mopar. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Why not get a later model v-8 tranny that will bolt to your engine, and also get the benefit of OD, and then adapt(I hate adapters) to your 300. Are you stuck on the 300. You could switch to a 93-95 v-8 tranny, 2 toggle switches will control OD and converter lockup and get a 241DHD transfer from a pre 94 dodge truck, it has front drive on pass side and it also has a rear fixed yolk from the factory. As for headers, I used a set for a late model dodge truck (shorty type) on my wrangler and they work very well. Yeah, mopar was my only choice! Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4 Wheel and Off Road had a big swap article in the April '99 issue. They say that a Dana 300 will bolt up to the rear of a Dodge NV4500-spline count is also the same. I would assume then that it will also bolt directly to a 518/46RH. That should take away some of your hassle anyway. I am currently looking for another Jeep to play with-something along the lines of a CJ7 or a CJ8 or even a Jeepster-when I find it this is the way I will be going as well as I was a Mopar man way before I ever got a Jeep. Good luck with your swap!

Jason Hansen
My Home Page

· Registered
1,025 Posts
That is almost true about the Dana 300 fitting. There is a seal interferance problem. You have to remove the input bearing retainer from the Dana 300, remove the seal, and then mill about 3/8 of an inch from the retainer,( the part that holds the seal) and then replace the bearing with a sealed one. Or you you could just run the same synthetic fluid in the t-case as the transmission. AA sells this as an indexing kit for about $175. The sealed bearing runs about $40. (which comes whith the kit SKF part #6209-2RSJEM)

The way I look at it, I didn't pay AA $175 for their kit, but the $175 for this info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you use the 727 with a Dana 300, the front shaft will hit he bump out on the trans pan unless you make a 2 piece drive shaft or have a radical lift and bump stops. The 3 speed to use would be the 998-999 type with the Jeep extension and shaft from a '80 CJ. They also have a lower first gear in the later versions. I am going to install a ZJ 5.2l magnum engine and a Dodge truck NV 3500 aluminum 5 speed in my CJ-8 in the next month or so. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.