Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was loading up the YJ onto the trailer, my neighbor came out and asked if I had greased the hitch ball..."UUUMMMMM??? No???" said I.

Do you? Should I?

Other technical question:
Should I get a lower ball for this set up? The front of the trailer looks high.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I put a light coat of 30w oil on my hitch ball when I think about it. Don't know that its a good thing, but thought it might keep down wear on the ball and the hitch. I don't know about lowering the hitch, but it does look slightly high. How does it tow? Will or someone had a good writeup on the proper loading of a trailer, so hopefully he'll chime in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
There are few things I like more in life than when my balls are good and greasy!
But enough about my personal life...

The correct answers are...

Yes & No.

Yes, you should lubricate your hitch ball and the socket it fits into.
The friction of that socket isn't what keeps your traler attached. You MUST keep the actual mechanical device that locks the ball in place adjusted, otherwise you will need insurance deductable money...

No, you don't need a lowered hitch reciever.
However, if the trailer tongue weight is sufficent to raise the nose of your truck more than an inch or two, you may need some kind of load leveling device.
"Helper" air springs are just great for that.

If you don't, your front suspension geometry is out, and your headlights are blinding the crap out of people even on low beam.
It's a safety issue...

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TR doesn't post for 3 years...and now he's back with 4 in a row. Good to see you back. Hopefully you can stay around a while.

As far at the ball height. The trailer is pointing up by several inches towards the front. As you can see at the wheel wells the front tire has a couple of inches more of clearance than the rear. I went and got a shorter drop hitch just now and installed it. Will see how it pulls tomorrow on the way to URE. (this is the first pull with the new trailer).

As for the suspension on the truck. Just for giggles I pulled the Jeep all the way forward on the trailer (so it was mostly forward of the trailer axles, 1/2 of the weight on the hitch) and the suspension on the Ol' F250 Trailer Special dropped a whopping 1-1/2 inch...Didn't seem to even raise front up at all. I'm going with a scientific guess for where the Jeep is sitting...I've got several sections of highway that I have to get on and off of to get to URE so there are good places to stop and adjust the load if neccessary.

I think it was RRich that posted up the "best way" to tie down a vehicle on the trailer...I'm searching for that post now.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Galen,

I have pretty much the same trailer but with a split diamond deck. I've never greased the ball but I do lube the trailer part that slides over the ball much like how you have to hit the hi-lift every once in a while if you leave yours outside and exposed.

Carry spare bulbs for your trailer lights. I lose one every once in a while and get pulled over every single time.

I center my vehicle over the tandem axles when I can. It tows better for me.

I tie mine down with chains around both axles and binders and usually a heavy duty ratchet strap over one of the bumpers. A lot of people dislike messing with chains and have had problems with binders - I never have so I stick with it.

You had the trailer brake control installed in your tow rig, yes? It's night and day compared to braking without them.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've towed with this truck for a while...with some really heavy trailers too...So the set up for a trailer is good (brakes, brake controller, suspension). It's just a new trailer to me. Picked it up on Wednesday night...Tomorrow will be it's first loaded pull.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I picked mine up in March, I think, and the guy included the trailer brake controls for free - installed. I've been towing for years without one. Never again.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
on bumper pulls a light amount of grease works good.
for goosenecks i HEAVILY grease the ball each time i hook up the trailer. ungodly amount of noise will come from my gooseneck if i dont............
i think the main diference is a bumper pull trailer will never see the tongue wieght my goose has, thus reuslting in way less friction of the ball turning in the coupler........

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ya Galen, I agree with Zach. They even sell grease specifically for ball hitches. I wouldn't bother buying the stuff but its a good idea to smear some grease on your balls once in awhile. As far as hitch heigth the old standby is you want the front of your trailer 2 inches higher than the rear. By the way, love those pretty square headlights.
Aaron

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
I put a coat of wheel bearing grease on the ball if I am going a long distance.

For trailer loading, I hook up the trailer and measure the height of the hitch off the ground. Then I have someone stand on the tongue with me and measure the amount the hitch dropped. Then when I load the jeep, I pull it forward till the hitch has fallen back to that height. That way I have some weight on the bumper but not too much to overload it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well cant tell you about the lub but I like things to be level when loaded.

Oh ya whats up with the seat covers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hope I don't offend anyone here by replying to this post. I'm from over on the the Jeepster board.

I would think, not only would the grease help the friction issue, it should help to give the trailer a better ground, for the lights, and any other electrical things to work better.

Of course most of the time, I'm not considered too bright either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Every chance I get,,,,,,

and the one on the truck about 3 times a year. each before long trips.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
acually the grease will make your ground contact worse.
trust me, my one buddy doesnt have a fground wire running to the trailer, and it grounds through the hitch, after he greased the ball he didnt have any working lights of brakes till we added a jumper wire fro mtruck to trailer for ground.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
I don't believe in grounding through the ball, especially if equipped with electric trailer brakes.

G

·
You shouldn't be using the ball for a ground... A light coat of white lithium is what I use... and I wipe off excess because it will just accumulate dirt... and sand... dirty grease with grit in it is far worse than NO grease at all... when I go to the desert I have a vinyl boot I Velcro around the whole thing... Sand and wind sucks... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif

1 - 20 of 31 Posts