Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As suggested in another thread, I am (already was) Looking into one piece axles for my CJ7. I see Moser recommended frequently, but also notice that Superior makes them, as do Yukon (which is made for Randy's Ring and Pinion). I also see that Warn has a full floater, which is a two piece (right). I guess the first question is whether a full floater is stronger than a one-piece and worth the extra $ and whether the brand of one-pice makes a difference. Why would someone prefer Moser over Superior for example.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I don't know about the one piecers, other than some run different bearings than others. Equally thet are better than the two piece 20 axle. I have the full floater kit in my CJ. It is a one piece axle. It pretty much changes your rear to the way the front is. With locking hubs and spindles. I like the full floater, because I can tow my jeep anywhere without having to disconnect the driveshaft. Also a great feature of the full floater, is that is is easier to get at the wheel bearings to grease them. If you run alot of water, this is a big plus.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa JeeperS" member

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
My husband called warn one day to find out some info on their axle shaft etc. and the techincal guy said that they have had more problems with the AMC 20 full-float kit than any other full-float kit. My husband has the FF kit on his CJ7 and hasn't had any problem, but hasn't run it much yet. If he had to do it again, he said he just get the 1 piece axle and put the extra $$ toward something else.

It was also my understanding that the Superior 1 piece kits were easier to install vs. the Moser - something about that something on the Moser axle had to be pressed on. (sorry for the vagueness- I'm sure someone can expand on this)

-Mel

Just FYI

http://www.in2jeeps.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to Warn a year or so ago about their FF when we had a big argument about it here. The salesperson I talked to DID NOT recommend the kit, they have bad leakage problems with them. The reason for that is that very few M20s axle tubes are straight anymore, and even the slightest amount of tweak causes them to leak. BTW, I have Moser one piecers, have had them for going on 10 years, never had a problem. They are the old style, I figure one of these days I need to send them off to be machined to fit the Timken bearings they now use.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replying to myself... I did some research on Superior vs. Mosler and have been told that they are both good kits and both use Timkin bearings. The big differences appear to be that the superior has rolled splines rather than cut and that they use threaded studs, which are easier to replace in case of breakage.

Getting a full floater does not seem to be recommended unless the jeep is flat towed often and may even be hard to keep sealed as most amc20s are no longer perfectly straight.

Justin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts