Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to try my own sandblasting on some of the rusted suspension and frame. where is a good place to purchase a gun etc? i have an air compressor. what else do i need? what about the size silica sand? any suggestions?
thanks
steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've done it for years and any system will work. I usually use a medium sand. It does make a real mess and if your not fully covered it hurts!
Last couple of times I took big parts to someone else to do. The biggest drawback is having to wait for the compressor to keep up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could you describe the system ie components i will need? what do you do after blasting ie paint? where to buy? napa?
thanks
steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't have to be expensive to work. I've seen outfits at WalMart and they will work. Get a couple of extra tips too. I wear an
old welding helmet with the filter removed and coveralls. The demand for air is listed on the sandblaster. Make sure the frame is clean.
Blasting thru greases and oils is hard. Does this help?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 40 lb pressurized and a 5hp 220 volt single stage compresser.
It will not keep up with the air. For small parts it is fine. I can
have a frame shot for around $100 And if I was going to sand blast a
frame I would hire it done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i just bought a sandblast gun and 15' hose that you stick in the bag of sand=$16. $5 for 100 lb silica sand #20. i have only a 3.5 hp comp and i am not expecting miracles. will just see what it can do. it's not the entire frame but here and there. jeep from salt air and i am from the desert where we don't alow rust!
thanks man
steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been dealing with TIP for several years ,they have a quality product.I have always recieve good advice and service
http://www.tiptools.com/
I just reviewed their web site and they do not have everything listed,give them a call or get their catalog.
JF1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
right on!
75 lbs of sand later and i'm tired!
rust is getting it's $%^%$# kicked!
campbell hausfeld gun works great. yea the 3.5 hp campbell comp has to work hard to keep the pressure. i worked it for 6 hours straight! oil level ok. i would let it rest for a few minutes now and then.
beats a wire brush.
will paint later this week.
thanks guys
steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.