Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on installing a 4" suspension lift soon and I was wondering if I need a SYE and CV shaft? Thanks, Andy

G

·
Usually anything above about 3" needs it. Otherwise you will go through a bunch of u-joints. Had to put a double cardon on mine with only 3" lift so I could trail ride it, otherwise the driveshaft got hung up on the yoke at full droop.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"
74CJ,304,D20w/Tera Low 3.15:1, dana30&44wlockrights,fullcage,woods'shafts, 33" BFG MT's

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know much about these things at all. Do I have to do it for the front and rear, and how much should it cost me to get the parts? Thanks, Andy

G

·
The front will be ok, just the rear needs it. You should have a fixed yoke on the rear of the transfer case, so the new driveshaft will be about $300. Thats about all you need, that and some new shims to put under your springs to tilt the differential up, and they come with the kit from Tom Woods'.

cjcrawler
"The Beast"
74CJ,304,D20w/Tera Low 3.15:1, dana30&44wlockrights,fullcage,woods'shafts, 33" BFG MT's

G

·
yeah i believe cjcrawler is correct on the fact that your transcase doesn't have a slip yoke at the rear like my yj. your rear shaft is collapsing like your front shaft right? if so you don't have to spend the $300 for the slip-yoke-eliminator, just $300 or so for a CV shaft and some shims.

steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a dana 300 tcase. If it doesn't have a slip yoke thats definately some good news! If I just have to buy the driveshaft and the shims, I should be able to put those in myself right?

G

·
well you know you can mr!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
i'm not sure but you may have to change out your transcase output yoke for CV joint but yeah the shaft install is easy enough. the shims are a little more work but no big prob. will have to drop the springs from axle and prob need longer bolts that set into the perch due to the thickness of the shim. check out tom wood's site for some info http://www.4xshaft.com

steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts