Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I need to install a drop pitman arm on my CJ7 with a 4 inch lift? What will happen if I don't? It's got like 2.5-3" right now (just barely enought lift to fit 33's) and doesn't have one.
The BDS kit came with one, but it's for power steering, and I've got manual steering. I plan on intalling power steering later, so I hate to buy a new arm for my current box. Will I be ok without it?

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7

G

·
I'd say yes, it needs one. I have a 3" dropped pitman arm on mine (about 3.5 to 4" of lift after sag) and I still have horrible bump steer. Of course, my long shackles don't help either. You just need to get the drag link as horizontal as possible, and a dropped pitman helps accomplish this.

Also, just wondering, what exactly could be SO different about a power steering pitman arm vs. a non-power steering pitman arm? Maybe since I haven't checked out the hardware on a manual steering Jeep I don't know what the difference should be.

Blake
93 YJ/4.0L/33x12.50s/D30 front/D35 rear/NP231/AX-15/3" Rough Country suspension/1.25" shackles

G

·
Yes you will definitly need the dropped pitman arm. I you don't use one, you will want to get one the first time you drive it.

85 CJ7,Chevy LT-1,700R4,NP208,4 1/2 lift,33's
77 Blazer,350 Cowl Induction,TH350,NP203 8", 33's

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what the difference is between power and manual. I guess I could see if it fits /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
It was included in the kit, but all they offered was one for power steering.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7

G

·
The output shaft on the manual steering box (is it called the sector shaft???) is smaller diameter than on the power steering box. The intereference fit that the pitman arm relies upon will NOT work properly if you use the wrong arm for the box. Even if things appear to be fine and dandy, they aren't, and it WILL eventually work loose and cause problems...

I Jeep, therefore I am.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Aww! Get a workout while you wheel... keep it manual!

(proud owner of a manually-aimed '76 CJ5)

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you

G

·
Make sure you get a quality puller if you decide to get a drop pitman arm. I used a cheap taiwon puller and cracked the puller when i tried to get mine out. Replaced it with a high quality one and it came right out.

Blake Cannon
94YJ 4banger. 4" lift. 33s. Winch. 4.56. Rear Detroit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts