Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
85 CJ7 258 I6, MOPAR MFI
Over the past several years I have had 3 alternators go bad. In the first one the bearings went bad, so I replaced it with a rebuilt unit from a local auto parts chain. In a little over a year this one started over charging (17 - 18 volts at idle). Went back to the same place and got a replacement, that one stopped charging. Back to the same place, got another one and two weeks ago it started over charging like the first one. Not wanting to go back to that place and get more of their rebuilt junk, I purchased and installed a Mean Green alternator. The first thing I noticed is that it is much quieter than the rebuilt units that I had been getting.

Now for the question. Could there be some problem with the electrical system in my Jeep that is causing these alternators to go bad? I sure don't want to screw up a $300 Mean Green alternator because of something else wrong.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nope!....you are not doing anything wrong. I replaced 4 altinators on my x-wifes's car before I broke down and got a 'quality' rebuilt unit. I will never buy a rebuilt 'anything' from Pep boys again. The altinator is a self contained unit. The worse thing that can happen is the output lead gets shorted....on a good unit, the regulator will just pump 63 (or what ever amps it supplies) to the short...in most cases, burning open the main wire....or in other words, you should be able to short or open the main wire and it should not hurt the altinator. Contrary to auto parts lore....there is nothing in the wiring system...including the battery that should hurt the altinator...

Please note however, that an overvoltage condition can damage a battery. Unlike Ni Cad batteries, lead acid or gell cells are not self limiting on voltage. You have to make sure you keep the voltage at 15 vdc or less.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.