Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, From CJ to YJ and now down to TJ. I have narrowed my jeep choice down to two sweet 97 TJ Sports. The only difference between the two is color (gunmetal blue vs forest green) and that one has a/c and the other has a hardtop. Both have full doors. My question is...
How much do the full doors help to stop wind noise.

I would love the a/c (especially in the humidity of the Virginia Summers) but I will also be making many 2 hour drives in the jeep and don't want the wind noise to be overwhelmingly loud. I am looking at both Jeeps today, so a quick response will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the help,
jason

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't know the answer to your question. Just wish I had full doors on my old CJ.. I gotta live with the wind noise. From no doors to full doors, I'd have to say the obvious, the would make a difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My '98 TJ Sport has full doors, soft top, and A/C. We knew that we wanted full doors instead of fooling around with plastic door windows. The A/C is a must in the St. Louis area because of the humidity, especially when breaking camp in the rain. The Jeep is fairly quiet on the highway, especially since I put an end to the rattling in the t-case linkage. I drive about 70 miles per day. I've ridden in a TJ with half doors without the windows in, I prefer full doors or none at all (note that I spent $20 for mirror relocation brackets for when the doors are off).

Bill

· Registered
7,901 Posts
Mirror relocation brackets are a must. Get the one with the A/C. We have both tops, soft in the summer and hard in the winter ('97 TJ Sport). The doors seal the top VERY well. In the summer, it balloons out indicating it's holding air. With the A/C on recirc, the top sucks in and makes a lot of noise, but almost no noise on regular. There is some noise with the windows down, but it's manageable. I also use the A/C to slow the motor down while wheeling on rocks. The A/C also has the HD electrical group (larger alt and battery). Save your money and get the hard top with the removeable front section (looks cool) later. As a word of warning, don't take your windows off and put them in another vehicle, with the windows up, in the summer. They melt, warp, and are a PITA to get back on. Go ahead, ask how I know...

And now for more stupid human tricks...

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been driving a soft top CJ-7 since 1985. No radio, you can't hear it due to the top flapping, etc. But, as far as I'm concerned it wouldn't be Jeep if it were nice and quiet! /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

Brad
Get active or get locked out, the choice is yours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go for the full doors. Glass windows that roll down are great, I don't think the noise thing is too big of a deal in a TJ. They are so quiet anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.