Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do \' 80 CJ / \' 73 Commando parts interchange?

I have this ' 80 CJ7 with no engine in it that nobody seems to want to buy. I know where I can get a ' 73 Commando with a 6 cyl (232 or 258?) automatic that runs good, but frame is shot and is cheap. I've been thinking about buying the Commando and stripping it and putting the engine in the '80 (and maybe the automatic in my ' 84). I think the axles and drivetrain are the same as the ' 80 CJ. Can anybody confirm that?

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: Do \' 80 CJ / \' 73 Commando parts interchange?

Don`t know about the I6 or auto tranny but the axles will definately fit your narrow track CJ. The spring perches will have to be moved inwards since the Commando frame is a little wider. The Commandos also use 2.5 inch wide springs. I have a 72 Commando D44 rear under my 75 CJ.

Jeff
`75 CJ-5, 304, T-18/D300,
SOA w/YJ springs, D30/D44,
still under construction

G

·
Re: Do \' 80 CJ / \' 73 Commando parts interchange?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifYou are in luck.... AMC never changed the bolt patterns in their 6 cyl. engines. If it is a Jeep engine, it would fit. I wish I had the $/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif$ I would have bought the 7 from you, but I am just trying to keep my CJ5 on the road. Right now I am trying to sell the TBI setup that I decided to take off.

~|_____
__|____|__
/-/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif||||/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif-\
(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)-o--(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)

Randy 80 CJ5

1 - 3 of 3 Posts