Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice here.
Been offered a postal for $400. It's in reasonable shape, hasn't run in quite some time. Was told it needed a new flywheel, as the teeth had worn. (they are worn).
It has a 232, with an auto tranny, (which I was told was a C4, but I doubt that, as I don't think they had them....any ideas?)
Seems all original, if neglected. Would need a bit of work, new wheels and tires, interior, and other bits. Body has very little rust, and is straight.
Now for the questions?
From the limited info, would it be a decent buy? Is it worth it?
Any problems locating a flywheel, starter (and how much), and other parts?
How much work would it be to convert it to LHD?
New linkages, new steering box, what else?
How difficult/expensive to put on front disk brakes?
Any idea what tranny it might have?
What ratio is the rear axle, and what should it be?
Are there compatible front axles?
What carb, and how much would it cost, if I need to replace the one on it?

And anything else you guys can think of.
You may have noticed that I have a few ideas in mind for it, if I get it, he he.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GO for it. Didn't they have a posi d44 rear end? Make a neat little toy to put around in. Go to postaljeep.com if you haven't bene there yet.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If your wanting a capable 4x4, take the body off the postal jeep and put it on a cj frame. Sounds like your wanting to do too much converting.

87 wrangler - 258

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen a DJ body on a CJ frame before, a LONG time ago. I was a bit smaller, and remember the thing was huge.. Might have sparked my interest in Jeeps. The YJ got the thoughts going though, and in the end, hi TJ

It can't be done? HA, they MUST be crazy...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$400 is a great price for a Postie. You didn't say what year it is but since it has a 232 it probably has a TF727 transmission. Most parts are pretty easy to find. I use CJ-5 parts for things like engine and brakes. AAA Motors in Boaz, AL has about everything you will need that is DJ specific. I wouldn't dream of converting to LHD. The carb is a Carter YF and I just bought one for $99 at Auto Zone. A good stronge running DJ can bring anywhere from $1500- 4000 from a Rural Carrier so it may be worth the investment to buy it and fix it up for resale.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
the one I had, had a two speed powerglide automatic, 3:73 gears, true 44 rear. The frame is heavyer than a cj so why would you want to change. A front end is a direct bolt in, most had saginaw steering. The axle is offset a couple incehes because he shaft is the same size, so no left and right parts. Convert from left to right in couple hours, all the holes are there. The front hubs of the 2wd will fit the fwd axles. trhe inner sheetmetal of the rear body is the same as the cj2a..

brownbagg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts