Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disecting a \"Miracle Mod\", and an exhaust question

I usually look at the miracle mods, figure them out, and laugh. I've seen a few things that tempt even me (consider myself to be the most skepticle consumer there is), like the helix power tower TB spacer, and a few others. This one is another miracle mod to put through the ringer. Would it cause bad gas mileage or pinging? Would you need to run 92 octane or better fuel? Does it really work? Where exactly do they move the IAT to? Well anyway, here it is http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3454&prmenbr=361 Jegs has been having troubles lately so you may have to search for the IAT Relocator Kit. If you guys think this has potential and isn't another gimmick, try to find out where they move what I guess is a temp sensor to and I'll try to make it at home and give a report.

Exhaust:

I have a 97 with an odd exhaust system. It is single exhaust with 1 muffler, 1 cat, and 4 O2 sensors. The sensors are like this: one behind each manifold, 1 before the cat, and 1 after the cat. If I wanted to go to true dual exhaust and was willing to buy headers 2 hi flow cats, 2 flowmaster 1 chamber race mufflers, and all needed pipe - where should I mount the o2 sensors? I figure 1 behind each header, but then I'm lost - any ideas? Anybody with factory dual cats care to crawl under your truck and explain it to me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Re: Disecting a \"Miracle Mod\", and an exhaust question

I have the factory dual cats but I have 6 o2 sensors, one at each end of each manifold, 1 before each cat, and 1 after each cat.

On the relocater, it says it relocates the intake air temp. sensor to a colder spot, but it also says that gives the engine cooler denser air for better throttle response and such. How in the h3ll does moving a sensor make the air going into the throttle body colder? It doesn't. So, all it does is make the computer think the intake air is colder than it really is giving it a false reading. I'm more into real performance upgrades such as heads/cam/intake/etc. Nothing in a bottle so to speak

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Disecting a \"Miracle Mod\", and an exhaust question

If you happen to have the wiring diagram could you look to see if they just spliced your extra 2 sensors into the parallel sensors (2 sensors before cat to 1 wire then to the computer, and same for the rear 2) or do they all have their own wire to the computer. Sorry to bother, but thanks for the reply. I tend to lean toward the real mods too, I was just wondering what this one does. I figure it tricks the computer into thinking the intake air is cooler and more dense and it turns up the fuel a bit to compensate for the added volume of air changing the air/fuel mixture to compensate. The lower temp really isn't there - but the richened air/fuel mixture probably gives the same effect as the higher pressure injectors in a stock throttle body making fuel mileage go to hell and HP only slightly goes up. I just wondered if it was worth experementing with, but from the ABS tampering post where something likely got fried I think there has been enough experementing for one week. (I'm not picking on the owner of that post, I just don't think we need 2 guys with burnt computers running around here)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.