Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no problem with guys who ride quads and trikes personally. In fact, I have some good buddies that ride 4-wheelers. I'll never fully understnd it though. You see, I've been riding dirtbikes for years and just can't seem to let go of that rush. I'll ride a quad now and then for the hell of it and I feel like, "This should feel more challenging." I don't know it's the whole idea that you can sit on a quad without putting your feet down ....even at a stop. -It simply feels like you're cheating. The feeling riding a motorcycle seems to be much more demanding on your sense of balance as well as your physical and mental mind set. There is much more ZEN thought involved with controlling a bike. There is much more focus involved in maintaining homeostasis. This high is what I like. To overcome the intimidation and allow your psyche to engross itself into the bike. To involve your whole self into what you do is always a good thing. You must know your tolerances. To find your threshold and push yourself to the tip of that threshold is key. -So if you guys ever want to achieve nirvana.......get bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure if you are venting, posing a question or simply expressing your opinion. So here gos.......I ride a quad. I have friends that have bikes. I have ridden bikes, not many, but my favorite was a 97 KX250 that had been modified. Good points i noticed were manuverability, and superior handling and control in whoop de doos. Bad points I noticed were unstability in sand and sitting up so high, having to put a foot down in a turn and or at a stop.

For me that is alot of work, no longer recreation for me. In fact, i agree with all you said about the challenge of a bike, more demanding sense of balance, more focus and things such as that. Im out to have fun, and appreciate how much easier riding a quad really is. A quad is superior suited to the type of terrain that I ride in. I wont speak for anybody else.

The high i get? My modified Banshee accelerates like a bat out of hell, ripping my arms out of their sockets. Nirvana is no better than that for me!

Good talk

-cleartoy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next time your on a quad, try going faster than 10 mph. Then you will discover you do need balance going into turns and jumping and going over rough terrain :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been riding 2-wheelers for over 20 years and currently ride my trusty ole CR500. I also bought my first quad last month, a new Banshee. I can guarantee you that I have a hell of a lot more fun in the dunes on my new quad. No, it's not as fast as my bike and probably doesn't take nearly as much skill as the bike, but that IS the joy of it, you really can't compare the two! My guess is that you came into this forum because you would like to have a quad as well? I don't know how many years of experience you have on bikes, but I've been riding since that was THE ONLY CHOICE, and it was long before 3-wheelers! There's nothing like going into a turn, pitching the quad into a 4-wheel slide and hit the powerband of a Banshee on the way out, it is a rush, I assure you. I ride a pretty modified CR500 and I know what an adrenaline rush is, trust me!

Howard O. - Vista, CA
'00 Banshee
'87 CR500

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To me it has always been a personal opinion. I have quad, bike, and truck that I ride when ever I can. Each person has their own opinion. I am lucky enough to the have the choice of what I feel like riding. I have fun riding, and working on all of them and that is all that should matter is if your having fun or not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have ridden a lot of bikes over the years and yes they r a little harder to control but everyone has there own opinion.. so here is mine .. with my four wheeler i can go anywhere or farther then any bike that ive been on going up hills is better also u can go halfway up and turn sideways and ride the side of the hill and face the nose up and it will keep on climbing now try that on a 2 wheeler all u can do is straight up and if u don't make it try again and again and again i ride with a lot of guys that have two wheelers and they always ask me why i have training wheels i tell them it is too snakey to ride with 2 wheeles it is a good joke between friends but u know it comes down to one thing CHOICE some prefer 2 some 4 as long as we r all having fun who cares!! and u know when u get into trouble on 2 wheeles what do u do ???? let go well with 4 u ride it out and take the good with the bad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After visiting the er twice this year, I switched to a bike. Those four wheelers are dangerous when riden fast. I don't ride as much as I used to, I'm too busy with my Jeep.

80 CJ7 with 4 inch lift, 33x12.50x15 Trail T/A
98 KX250

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'M GUESSING BY WHAT YOUR SAYING THAT IT'S YOUR BELIEF THAT FOUR WHEELS HAVE NO CHALLENGE. SO I SUPPOSE YOU THINK GUYS LIKE IVAN STEWART AND ROBBY GORDON MUST BE SOME REAL NO TALENT BUMS, BECAUSE THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE TO USE BODY ENGLISH TO OPERATE THEIR RACE MACHINES.
THERE IS A GRAIN OF TRUTH IN WHAT YOUR SAYING THOUGH. . .THERE ARE A FEW CHALLENGES PRESENTED BY A MOTORCYCLES THAT ARE NOT AFFECTING A QUAD. BUT YOU MUST ALSO KEEP IN MIND THE CHALLENGES A QUAD PRESENTS THAT A MOTORCYCLE DOESN'T. EVER THOUGHT ABOUT FINDING A 60in WIDE LINE TO A JUMP RATHER THAN A 6in WIDE APPROACH. EVER HUNG YOUR RIDE FULL OUT SIDEWAYS IN 6th GEAR ON A HALF MILE OVAL. TRY THINKING ABOUT HAVING TO CONTROL FOUR WHEELS DURING A LANDING TOUCHDOWN RATHER THAN ONE.
PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU GRIND ON US QUAD LUNATICS, ESPECIALLY AT OUR OWN BBS. GO TO THE DIRTBIKE BBS 'CAUSE WE COULD CARE LESS ABOUT YOUR BITCHIN'.
PERSONALLY I CHOOSE AN ATV OVER A BIKE BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT GAVE ME MORE OF A CHALLENGE. AND NO ONE AT MY CYCLE CLUB HAS TOLD ME THAT I'M MAKING THE 80ft TRIPLE BECAUSE IT EASIER FOR ME TO DO ON A QUAD. HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES!

LUNAR SUPERFLY #969
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
BANSHEE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
although inexperienced as i am to the whole off-road scene, (i grew up racing karts)i'm thinking about gettind an atv to ride. All of the research i have been able to get from dirt wheels and atv sport magazines, tend to lean towards the opinion that anybody can ride a motocycle. To them it takes a real rider to do the same stuff on a quad that you do on a bike. You might say that it is impossible to do the same things on a quad, but maybe you really haven't pushed the envelope on an atv yet?????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.