Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a Wrangler and I've never bought one for various reasons. Now I've made up my mind and I'm finally buying one this spring when I get back from Afghanistan. With so many accessories available I haven't the slightest idea of what to buy. I want something I can do some rock crawling in or go mudding and still comute to work in.

If I could get some suggestions and pointers I would really appreciate it.

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
You can do that in any base model wrangler. The question is how serious do you want to mud bog or rock crawl?

Stock tj with a set of AT or MT tires can go places that you would not believe. Add a pair of lockers and you double or tripple your vehicle's abilites. Add some lift and you don't get hung up as much.

Don't get to hung up on name brand hype. There is alot of BS out there.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
That all depends on you and your environment:

1. How much do you have to spend?
2. Are you mechanically minded? If so, do like working on a vehicle on a regular basis, or would you rather drive it, maintain it and modify it?
3. Family. Have one, how about the foreseeable future, if either are yes, what is your other vehicle, and how old are the kids?
4. Do you have a garage?
5. Do you play rough, (Devil may care) or conservative (I would rather drive than walk)?

That should do for now, welcome to the board and the addiction known as JEEP (Just Empty Every Pocket)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on what you want to do....
I would buy a new Wrangler Rubicon.....
You get D44's front and rear...with lockers, 4:1 transfer case...and a warranty...
If you take a stock Wrangler, it will cost you as much if not more to get it to the same level....
The Rubicon is one awsome jeep when compared to the stock Wrangler...then if you want to wrench on it....add the long arm kit for a few extra inches of lift...

And at the end of the day.....you still have A/C and a daily driver...

And if you need more space....try the Rubicon Limited.....it's a little longer...and they are coming out with a 4dr ver of the Limited.....

·
Registered
410 Posts
Lash- reading this board was one of the best moves. There is a ton of media out there for buildups and the like. Keep reading and in no time you'll have a plan.

Just make it home safe.

Hey- what in Afganistan convinced you to get a Wrangler? Just wondering...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mountains be a callin\'

I don't have kids and my wife really wants a Wrangler

I was originally planning to buy an older Wrangler. Drop in a Chevy V8 and add lift, lockers and some oversized tires for it. Also, a winch and maybe KC lights.

In light of what DDawg wrote maybe I'll go with the Rubicon. I can afford it, so why do all that work when I can just by one as is and lift it. The only downside to that is the cost of body repair if I happen to damage it. Would it be more expensive or are parts the same price for newer bodies?

Since, I've been in Afghanistan for almost a year I've managed to save plenty of dough. I also realized that life is short so I might as well enjoy the time I have by doing what I want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: The mountains be a callin\'

One of the nice things about the Wrangler is that body parts don't change that much....and they are easy to repair....

You can avoid a majority of damage by adding a little body armor...(should make you feel at home)....

Rocker gaurds for the sides and corner panels for the rear...
Check out http://www.4x4now.com/4wsbioy.htm for examples...

·
Registered
2,563 Posts

I second John's recommendation. Plus your wife will like it that it is not in pieces when she wants to drive it. Worried about body damage? Get a used one, let the other guy pay the $$ for driving it off the lot.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I can afford it

[/ QUOTE ]

That changes everything,, Get the Rubicon!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rolling the Rubi

Ha. Yeah, I will. I was checking them out today online, there were some pretty sweet Rubicons out there.

So when I get the Rubicon all I have to worry about are uprgrades. Is the stock suspension good enough or will I need to replace it?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: Rolling the Rubi

Wheel it stock for a while. See what it can and can't do. Wear down those Goodyear MTRs a little. Then decide where you want it to go that it currently can't and plan your buildup respectively. I know that 37" tires and big lifts are all the rage right now, but don't throw that kind of cash into these mods if 32" tires and a budget boost will get you where you want to go. Plus, smaller tires and less lift is a good thing on a daily driver. Most of all, have fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dana 44s

So the 2006 is the only model that offers D44s front and back? I found a 2005 for a really good price but I'm not sure if I should just go for the 06 model.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Dana 44s

Okay, thanks. Only $18k, the guy's movin over seas in a month and he's getting rid of everything he can. I couldn't believe it, what a lucky break.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Dana 44s

18K for a Rubicon? What year? How many miles?
New they are selling for about $26K...
But consider this....
4:1 transfer case $1000
D44 axles $1000 each
Gears $400 each axle (including labor)
Lockers $600 each axle

Your time to do all the work....

For what a dealer is asking, the Rubicon package is a very fair deal....
In most cases they also include larger tires...

Stock, off the factory floor, they out perform many modified jeeps....

If you want to lift it.....go long arm...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts