Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, Now that I have decided on a detroit locker for the rear? Just wondering what the major differences between putting in a No spin, EZ, or gearless would be? If There isn't to much of a difference I would like to save the money and get an EZ but you guys will be the judge!!!
Do these prices from national drivetrain seem alright??
Nospin $455
EZ $240
Gearless $285
Should I concider any other places like Drive train direct or randys? thanks Mike

Jeeps are Built not Bought
Chrome don't get ya Home

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
the cheaper ones, EZ/gearless just replace the side gears, and are not full carrier replacements, they arent nearly as strong as the nospin.

you can install them without resetting up the gears though.

the full blown Detroit is the one with the good reputation.

if you want a cheaper locker get a lockrite, it has the better reputation between teh 2 (lockrite VS EZ)

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...

G

·
This is a great topic to search using the button at the top of the forum post list...search the past few months.

Detroit 'no-spin' or 'soft-lockers' require removal of carrier and all, and re-setting up the gears.
Lockright/EZ locker install simply (an hour or two) without having to re-set the gears, but aren't as strong a setup as the full-case lockers
Gearless lockers quickly acquired the moniker "Gutless lockers" due to a rash of failures when they came out. I'd avoid those.

I Jeep, therefore I am.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know this isn't the hottest topic going around. I have read many old post and talk to a few people, However I am having a tuff decision picking between 2 lockers because of Price. If I can save the money I would Like 2.
#1. Detroit "No-Spin" $450 - Carrier = $420 ($150 more)
#2. Lock-Rite $240 + Carrier = $270 ($150 save)

For anyone that Has a good experience with lockers just reply to the post with either option 1 or 2. Thanks Mike

Jeeps are Built not Bought
Chrome don't get ya Home

G

·
a guy that runs a shop in raleigh runs lockrites front and rear and has had no problems. the last comp. he was in, he came in 4th after Sam (the guy with the huge brown CJ and owner of Sam's Offroad). he furthermore has broken just about everything in his axles except the lockrites. the last time i talked to him he said that if i could break one, he would replace it for free! now i just need to save up to buy one.

Jon
'95 YJ - 32x11.50 - 4 banger!
Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler!

G

·
Go with the Detroit. I and many others have said this a million times before. As for resetting the gears, it doesn't involve pinion depth and getting the right pattern, you merely have to reset the R&P backlash, a simple job with a dial indicator and a set of shims.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
WILL has lockrites front and rear, with amc360, 33 inch tires, and he isnt scared of the skinny pedal.

He loves them, and hasnt broken any that Im aware of.

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Either will work just fine. I've had both a lockright in the rear of my amc20 with 33" tires, and now have a no-spin in the dana 44 that replaced it, same 33" tires. Off road, I see no difference. I once broke the pins in the lockright when the amc20 spun a hub. The lockright lasted 3-4 years and is probably still fine sitting in the old axle on the garage floor. I bought a detroit no-spin because I wanted something reputedly stronger. For the $150.00 more, I would get the no-spin. It's quieter, smoother and stronger as it doesn't rely on the stock case. I still think you can't go wrong with either, but there is a reason they get $470.00 for the detroits, and that's because those in the know, prefer the best. and in an automatic locker, detroit no-spin is.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

1 - 8 of 8 Posts