Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is looking for a jeep and cant decide what to go for. I remember running into a list that gave the difference in trannies and axles between the types and years if anyone can give me their best opinion on what would be the best cj depending on axles vs engine or the best yj please give me your opinion.....thanx guys....ho if it matters this jeep will be used to go thru mud since I am in south fl. thanx again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Being in Daytona, I can attest that the more horse power you have, the happier you will be in the mud (espically if you like the sound). A wide axle CJ (82 and later I believe) or Yj is a good choice. The AMC 20 seems to hold up alittle better in the mud than does the D35c, but I just snapped an axle, and am swapping 9". When going aftermarket, don't gear too low, you need to get those tires spinning, for 35", I run 4.10 without complaint, and you get to go farther on a tank of gas. a locker in the front is a must, and rear is optional on Cj's, Yj's (because of axle disconnect) run a limited slip in rear. The yj's I go running with use 4cyl, and they do just fine, I have a narrow axle cj, and I'm doing fine. Mostly its what the driver can get accustomed to. If it drives ok on the street, and 4wd works, it'll do just fine in Fl trails.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 33 on my yj but was wondering what would be the best way to get 35's...I have a 4 in explorer pro comp and 1 1/2 shackle lift....do you know what else I might need to fit 35's?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure a body lift would do the trick. A friend of mine was running 34" tires on his 92 Yj with only a 3" body lift. there was rubbing, but he lived with it. Those tires seperated, and because of money concerns he's back to 33's, and mudding with me with 35's. you just have to pick shallower lines.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.