Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between an '87 Dana 35c and a 90 Dana 35C. Are the axleshafts interchangeable?

Thanks
David A
'90 YJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am not positive on this but I have been told by SEVERAL people that Chrysler used non-c clip axles up until 89, 90 and up have c-clips, so to me that would mean that they are not interchangeable....not 100% positive though.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I put 90 axles in my 88 YJ. The rears use a different flex brake line, and have different size brakes. The front use different rotors and calipers and brake lines too. I bought mine for the 4.10s. If you want to swap, get the whole axle, drum to drum, or rotor to rotor.

Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own an '89 Wrangler and the rear axle on mine uses non-c-clip shafts. As said before, the axles are held in by a retaining plate and a pressed-on bearing collar. I don't like this design. #1 being that to change the outer seal, you have to cut the bearing/collar/seal off and replace the whole assembly. #2 being that the seal I got to replace the old one wasn't as thick as the factory seal, and let the axle slip out a bit....this caused a leak that took me 6 months to figure out what was causing it....there is a good thing about this design, though...you don't have to drain the gear oil to remove the axleshaft

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.