Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diff \"snorkel\" vents on TJ-How well do they work?

Does anyone have any comments on the "snorkel" vent hoses on the 99 TJ? How effective are they? I can't seem to find reference to them in the owners manual ....and I haven't figured out if they also do this for the trans and x-case. Is it still advisable to change the fluids after a "bath"? ......had a flood here not too long ago ....compliments of Dennis and Cindy (I think) .....ended the drought ...all at once .....had to go out and explore where mere mortal vehicles dare not tre..paddle.......got it up to above the bumpers before my wife got too nervous ..... seein' the ducks at the park swimin' on the wrong side of the Jeep rattled her a little.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
GeeAea

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Re: Diff \"snorkel\" vents on TJ-How well do they work?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The army did that routinely GA, and they didn't change fluids after every bath. The theory was that when the case cooled rapidly causing the air to get cold and the internal pressure to decrease, the negative pressure drew "safe" air in through the snorkels to the various cases. The tranny has a vent as well, better check to see if it is "snorkelized". Our SNOJEEP has a TH400 which was not piped to the top of the firewall when we got it, but it WILL BE! The Quadra-Trac WAS piped to about the height of the auto tranny dipstick handle./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Let's see.....Jeep...pizza....video rentals.....yep, you are definitely a candidate for the vice-perpetrator's wealth redistribution program. You are waaaay too affluent, and you must be penalized. First they take all your assets because you can earn more...makes sense....then your house becomes a gov't owned indigent residence....then they split your salary with several folks who won't work because they had a bad childhood....yep, you qualify all right.

CJDave

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ok ......you've done it! It's my turn to whine!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif I'm establishing the "I'm tired of getting pushed to lower rungs on the ladder" movement!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif While my kids were young I once worked two jobs to allow Joyce to stay at home. I had my regular job and I was a temp at Mars Electronics....I got to work in the packaging dept for a while until I got into the testing dept.....there was a man there who thought that everything should be "pro" ethnic (I personally don't think that there is a "glass ceiling" and "white ceiling" or whatever....it's more a matter of "take a number for better service" in otherwords get in line)......at one point in listening to his speech(es) .....I reached into my pocket and pulled out my wallet and asked him "how much?"....he looked at me funny .....again I said "how much?"....he said "what are you talking about".....I said "how much do I owe you?" ....keep in mind that I was doing the same work that he was and he was paid $10/hr and I, being a temp, only made $5/hr. ......it really didn't matter because my wallet was all but empty anyway...he never did get my point.......
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifGeeAea/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·

/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif You don't even got the time to hear my whine/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif

Well then -Something I been thinking is that one could run all
the vents to one manifold on the fire wall with a K&N air filter.
I have seen K&N filters that are about 2inchs across and maybe
1 inch high. For about $15.00.-Cute things.
I have seen on post someware that K&N filters will not let water
thru them.
IS THIS TRUE???????????????????????????

G

·

They will not keep water in. They may not let it in as fast but water will get through. As for what you need to do to make your TJ waterproof go to my homepage and click on the link on the main page on how to waterproof your TJ. It will take you to another page. The article is excellent and covers just about everything. Simply put though. No the stock tubes are not sufficient. The tranny doesn't even have one. The tcase does but no the tranny. The tranny just has a vent hole. The rear diffs' tube stops behind the drivers tail light in the body. The front diff tube is next to the radiator. The tcase is on the firewall. Extend all of them to the highest point on the firewall and put those K&N filters on them. Read that article on how to add one to the Tranny. Oh I think 4wd Hardware has those little filters for about $8. Summit Racing has them too. If you build a snorkel run the vent lines up inside the snorkel all the way to the top. Good luck.
Aaron

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Aaron-
I clicked your hot link to the waterproofing page on your site and is was BAD.
Please fix this as I would like to read the article!

JAF

·
Registered
2,137 Posts

Gee, Dave. You've done it now.
That was uncalled for - especially since the guy doesn't know when he is getting nudged in the ribs.
Us old guys can poke too hard sometimes.

JAF

·
Registered
6,394 Posts

/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif Totally in jest JAF, totally in jest. You know, over the years I have made some dandy crankcase inlet filters to mount on the firewall of different stuff, like our GM pickups, and we used a thread-on oil filter with a radiator hose clamp and a small tin bracket. They work great, and they keep the crud out of the engine. Mount'em high to escape the water./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Speaking of old guys, I wonder if there are any posters on this board who were born before 1943..? I'm almost as old as Jeepdom itself. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·

/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif I must be getting old or thicker headed/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif
/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif I did not even see the poke/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.