Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have a 99 wrangler sport 4.0L auto. Just changed the rear diff fluid with Redline 80w-140 synthetic (recommended weight because I tow a small trailer), put the cover back on and have absolutely no leaks. However, I can smell diff fluid when I drive and cannot for the life of me find out where it might be coming from. The front diff was changed out last week using 75w-90 Redline, so I know it’s not the front. Again, no leaks anywhere. None of the diff’s are overfilled, fluid is right at the bottom of the fill plug. Never had this problem with the old fluid (Valvoline semi-synthetic) Any ideas before I pull the cover off again and use a different lube? Thanks in advance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
when you were swapping fluid did you get some on your hand and then touch the steering wheel or seat or something? That stuff is pretty pungent and will hang around for a while.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, evertime I mess with the stuff I have to scratch my nose for some reason or another....I can smell it for days after that!!!

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts