Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in centeral Wisconsin and i really like diesels but i was wondering how good do they start in the winter? My dad had a 95 dodge with the 5.9 cummins and it seemed to start fine. Whats the coldest they will start? i could plug it in at home but after im done working all day i need somthing that will start. I would like to find a late 80s blazer but i have never seen one with a diesel for sale around here and whats that k5 and k10 stuff mean anyways? How reliable are the late 80s gm diesels?

thanx for any info you can give me

Justin Behr
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Threr're pretty reliable if you just take care of them. As for starting in cold weather it's hard too say how cold they will start at, Now I have read something in the past writen by someone in Michigan, Who rigged up his own propane powered engine heater, That whould last all day while he was at work and could not plug in with I want too say on 2-5 gallons of propane. Anyway he did an article about it on http://www.thedieselpage.com Which is a very good web site full of GM diesel lovers/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif. Too register over there is $20 but well worth it!!! I think that article might be online on the web site so go check that out if you want too.
And for the K5 K10 stuff, The letter K is used too signify a 4x4 while the letter C is used on 2WD trucks. The K5 is the 2 door fulsize trucks as you may know and K10's or 15's whould be half tons, K20's or 25's whould be 3/4 ton trucks, And K30's or 35's whould be 1 ton trucks.
Well this has been a book in the making/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Hope it helps/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifYodas Day Off/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank u very much!

Now what does the 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton refure to? i know that 1 ton is stronger than 3/4 but what do those numbers mean?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Well back in the day half 3/4 and 1 ton pretty much stood for how much a truck could haul in it's bed. (I'm talking WAYYY back in the day here like the 30's 40's) But in a nutshell it's a measure of how strong the truck is. 3/4 tons whould have beefier springs than a half ton and one tons whould have even stronger stuff too do heavier work.
Hope makes sence.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifYodas Day Off/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didn't check that page you mentioned 298gmc but from what i understand............a k5 is a blazer, and the rest are trucks, right?

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oops. wait a minute. i wasn't confused afterall. brain fart.

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.