Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, there's a guy listing a '64 Jeep with a Perkins Diesel in it - claims it was one of 400 made. Also claims it's pretty straight. It's in central Missouri. Anyone interested in something like this? If so, I'll post the dude's phone # tonight when I get home. I have no idea what he wants for it, just thought it was something unique that might be of interest to someone on this board.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was working in a Jeep dealership when this vehicle was new. I was always aware that a diesel was available, as they are listed as an option in the 'literature'. I've never seen one, or have I ever previously heard of one. Sounds like an 'interesting-find' for someone.

bob

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
With the fuel economy that a Jeep gets ...... I'm surprized that a diesel isn't a popular conversion. Since we (US) don't appear to build any decent passenger car size diesels ...... I would think an ISUZU or a NISSAN would be the ticket. What would you call it a "rice-oil burner"? We have a Perkins 4 cyl in a towmoter/forklift at work .....it's converted for propane however.
GeeAea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My cj7 with the 304 and stock 2 barrel get great gas milage. I don't know what your talking about. I work 20 miles from home and 1 tank gets me back and forth all week plus whatever other driving i do. Did i mention I run 35" tires too

Al
My web page

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Rice oil....that's good./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif If the truth were known, you pass a gazillion Perkins Model 104 Diesels on the hiway every day. They are used in the reefer units of rigs like BigMan drove cross country with loads of frozen strawberries and swingin' meat. The Perkins are so darn ecomomical that I have had clients that bought them from me accuse the fuel delivery guy of not recording the fuel amounts correctly. They really are thrifty./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif A Perkins powered Ferguson farm tractor held the record for YEARS in the Nebraska Test for what was it now....13.5 HP/Gal/Hr??? Almost unheard of at the time./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weeelllllllllll, what's so special about diesel's ??????
I see *lot's* of diesel Cheroo's each day.....
I have also seen diesel CJ's and YJ's (the last one not common).
Ok, ok, this *is* in Norway, Europe....
Current Cherokee engine options: 2.5 Litre TD, 4.0 Litre HO Gas.

I seem to remember that european Cherokee's are built in Austria ??????
When AMC had a deal with Peugot, i think the diesel engine was a Peugot/Nissan engine ???
With Gas prices like $4.50 pr. gallon, Diesel get's interesting in a *hurry* !!
(say's a guy running a CJ7, GM 305, TH400, 33" and gets about 12-14 mpg...B-()

Even more interesting, is LPG. Current LPG prices in Norway is less than $ 2 pr. gallon. Which means this is a hot topic at the moment (but *where* to mount that *large* tube / bottle / tank.....)
Regards,
PerJ

<[email protected]>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif OK, wise guy; just because we Americans are the consumption kings of the world, you need not rub it in. Next week we are all putting the 354 Perkins six-cylinder Diesel in our Jeeps!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif OR....we will all go to the 401 AMC V8, and convert to LPG and just tow a 300 gallon trailer of LPG with an unbilical to the Jeep./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif That would look neat rock climbing, huh? BUT.....at least the carb wouldn't starve out, since LPG will run the engine UPSIDE DOWN if need be./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ATTN ALL ROCK CLIMBERS....PerJ has the answer to engines starving out, and no pesky fuel pump needed either!/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its very interesting that, inother countries, diesels are used to power more trucks and cars than in the USA, BY FAR. they get much better gas mileage and produce more torque than their gasoline counterpart. however, the engines are heavier usually and require a minimum size to be efficient. not to mention that 'nasty black smoke' as the enviros would put it. i think a diesel powered jeep would be great off-road...since torque is what you need when hill climbing, pulling, & rock crawling,.... and efficiency..... imagine not having to carry the extra jerry cans and still having the range of those that do.

'-ahhh! the taste of unburnt hydrocarbons in the morning, gotta love it!'

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You see, we Americans never could get used to the idea of taking a long time to get somewhere, so the Diesels; despite their obvious advantages; never caught on in little stuff. You are right about taking fuel...Gasoline is 12,500 BTU per pound, and Diesel is 19,500 (more or less) that's a lot more dead dinosaurs per tankful./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It all has to do with what it costs to drive gas cars. Cheaper today than it was (relatively speaking) 15 years ago. And in spite of what my Toyota pals may claim, Japanese cars would NEVER have gained any favor in the U.S. had the gas crunch not hit us in the '70's. The only thing that got U.S. citizens into those little cars (which nobody in Detroit wanted to make) was the skyrocketing costs of gasoline. Should the price skyrocket again, I expect to see a huge decline in the SUV business & diesels should become more popular in smaller vehicles. When 10 MPG gets too expensive, that's when we're going to look into alternatives. Just my $.02

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you mean "take a long time to get somewhere"? I pass empty gassers all the time on I70 going up the Eisenhower tunnel approaches (11,000 ft) in my Power Stroke!! I'm usually pulling my CJ on a trailer or a fully enclosed snowmobile trailer, too. I would love to find a diesel to put in my Jeep. The torque is truly amazing, especially once the turbo gets spooled up at around 1500 rpms. But like was said before, they are heavy, noisy, and expensive. I love the smell of that smoke burning my nose hairs in the morning :) What's really wild is my pickups overall crawl ratio is around 65:1, stock! Way better than my Jeep was. It still doesn't have the cool factor that the CJ has though and it's way too scary to think about banging it around on rocks and trees. Oh to have the best of both worlds, right Dave!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif The new stuff, like our late-model Pontiac, all get fantastic fuel mileage so the oil companies had to raise prices to get more dough. Even my '97 ZJ will crank out 25 if I behave myself and am on flat ground. Nipponese car super-economy is a myth just like Volvos are the safest...just urban myths that the gullible yuppies eat up like candy and cappuchino./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Japanese cars don't make better mileage TODAY, but they certainly did at the height of the gas crunch. That was my point. Had Japanese cars entered this market making the same kind of mileage as
American cars & costing as much, nobody would have bothered to try them. Today, the playing field is leveled, yet Americans buy foreign cars because (1) some tried 'em out of necessity during the gas crunch & liked them, thus breaking down the barrier, & (2) the line between American - made & "foreign" is much more blurred today than ever. Final assembly for a Toyota is in Indiana, while it might be in Mexico for a Dodge. Which vehicle is more "American"?

And as to the "slow" charistic of diesels, I don't personally have to go up to the Eisenhower tunnel on many occasions. I live at 200 feet of elevation. My father-in-law has a 2-year-old Ford with a Powerstroke & I wouldn't trade him even-up for my 10-year-old 350-powered Z71 if he begged me. Just my preference.

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Taking long time to get somewhere ???
If you *ever* get the chance to try a BMW 528 TDS (2.8 liter turbo diesel) or
an Audi A6 2.5 liter TDI (standard 140 hp, with a new chip about 180 hp...)
or a an Audi A4 / VW Passat / Golf / Bora with the new 1.9 liter 110hp TDI engine (which can be chip tuned to about 140 hp) i'll think you'll chance your mind....
And then, the Audi A4 / Passat / Golf / Bora gets something like 55-60 mpg (0.4 liter pr. 10 kilometer) on the highway and about 35-40 mpg in the city (0.66 liter pr. 10 kilometer)......
The Audi A6 and BMW TDS has a slightly higher consumption.....

VAG (VW/Audi) has an even smaller diesel engine in the Polo line, which uses even less diesel... (but the Polo *is* a very small car....)

Soooo yes !! in Europe, diesel cars are no longer "going slow and stinkin'"

Actually, i'm considering buying a new "family" car right now, and i'm loking for an Audi A4 (a little to small) or an '97-99 VW Passat with either the 150 hp turbo gas engine (with a new chip about 190 hp) or with the 1.9 liter 110 hp TDI engine.....
We'll see in some weeks time...
Regards,
PerJ (From Norway)

<[email protected]>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've had (4) diesels and (2) gas engines in my Jeep in the last 9 years(yes my jeep is an addiction). The first engine was a 4 cylinder Isuzu diesel. It would only do 55mph on a good day but 20 mpg(31" tires and 3.08 gears). Next I installed a 6.2L out of a chevy van in it. It would do 80-90mph but would still only get 20 mpg and still didn't have the power that I wanted(same tires and gears). I yanked it when it broke a rocker arm and installed a 4.3 V6. It had about the same power as the 6.2 but only got about 15 mpg(same tires and gears but installed OD automatic). When I got tired of that engine I switched it for a 305 V8. It produce the same power as the 6.2 and the 4.3 but the mileage dropped to around 12 mpg(same tires 4.11 gears and 700r4). I got married so it was either boost my mpg or get rid of the jeep. So tore the 305 out and installed a 248 Perkins diesel in my Jeep. It would only do about 65-70 mph but it did get close to 25mpg(31" tires, 4.11 gears, 700R4). That engine seized up on me twice while going down the road so this spring I replaced it with a 6.5L turbo diesel out of a 1996 Humvee. Finally I've found the engine that belongs in this Jeep. It gets between 18-20 mpg and there is no speed limit to this Jeep(35" tires 4.11 gears and 700R4). It has the power and the torque(195 hp 385ftlbs)to do anything I want to do with it. The best part about it is the price that I got this engine for. If you can show me a gas engine that has the power and torque of this engine and still gets 20 mpg for $500 I might considering installing it in my Jeep. But I get a lot more looks and questions with this 6.5 than any of the gas engines.

YJ with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel
and A.J.'s fiberglass body

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Wow! That is awesome fuel mileage! This Diesel business has got me thinkin'....I ran Olds and Chevy Diesels for years for practically nothing by buying Diesel cars from folks who had given up on them...real nice stuff too, for 400 - 700 bucks. It was always the same...water and algae in the fuel tank. Their loss...my gain. It kept me in dirt cheap transportation and diesel grease under my fingernails (nothing like diesel grease). But back to Jeeps...how about a 200 HP Cummins on a trailer with the fuel tank under the engine. You could tow the trailer with the Jeep, run the Jeep with a hydraulic motor and just have big hydraulic hoses connecting the two vehicles. Control the engine with those remote setups that they use in tugboats. Your range would be thousands of miles, and oil changes would be easy./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif How's THAT PerJ? Just another way to create the ideal "family" Jeep./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a book that is parts peculiar to the diesel CJ. The engine used was a Perkins 4.192 The reason that these were never widely used is that from what I recall the max rpm's of that family Perkins as about 2200, that coupled with 5.38 gears that were stock gave you a TOP speed of about 30 mph or so. If anyone wants info on these I have looked into them a little. I would be interested in the fellows phone # with the diesel for sale.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.