Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Have not seen it in the few years I've been around...Would love to see someone do it...I love my diesel Dodge and could see it being a good set up in an off road rig. I think one of the big problems would be weight. To get a motor with big power (CTD) it's gonna be heavy! I know the old Isuzu motors were not very heavy...but they had no power...Which motor you thinking of?

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Find yoursefl a newer wrecked Liberty, and start swappin' out parts! It's doable, but it's not going to be inexpensive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Have not seen it in the few years I've been around...Would love to see someone do it...I love my diesel Dodge and could see it being a good set up in an off road rig. I think one of the big problems would be weight. To get a motor with big power (CTD) it's gonna be heavy! I know the old Isuzu motors were not very heavy...but they had no power...Which motor you thinking of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what CTD is as I've just begun the research into this. What I have learned is that size-for-size diesel engines lack the same horsepower as their gasoline counterparts, but what they lack in horsepower, they more than make up for in torque and fuel economy which are two BIG plusses for any off-roader! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've been taking empty 55-gallon barrels from work and selling them. I've sold about 100 in recent months and EVERY single person that bought them was doing it to store bio-diesel. All of them had their own in-home/shop bio-diesel operations and were running their own vehicles on it. Their vehicles ranged from twin turbo Volkswagen Jettas to 6.2L Suburbans. All of them claimed it was costing them between $0.70 and $0.85 per gallon to make their own diesel. One guy bought 10 barrels from me because he and his family have five diesel vehicles and he had about 750 gallons of bio-diesel in a reserve tank and wanted to store more!

To make a long story short, this got me thinking about doing something radical to my Wrangler, but countless searches on Google and numerous other forums have resulted in nothing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Find yoursefl a newer wrecked Liberty, and start swappin' out parts! It's doable, but it's not going to be inexpensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. I figured this would be easier done with an older engine that's been around a long time, but I really don't know what's available. I know Mercedes have diesels, but not sure how to work the transmission adaption. I know some of the full-size trucks by the American companies have diesels, but I think the engines in them are huge and heavy.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
CTD = Cummins Turbo Diesel (Dodge 3500)

I have a 300 gallon tank, 4 50 gal barrels, 4 30 gal tanks in my yard, along with a 50 gal auxillary tank in the bed of my truck (I got the 30's so I can put them in the back of the truck and go ~2500 miles without refueling). I'm running WVO in mine (not BioDiesel). So I keep about 250-300 gallons around to let it settle out and let teh water separate some so I go through filters less.

IF there were a reasonable way to convert my YJ to diesel I would. But with CRD's out of wrecked Libby's still running about 3 grand it would take me years to make up the difference in the fuel I put through the Jeep.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
a lot of people are swapping the 4 cylinder cummins 4bt (or something like that) into different rigs. A lot of bread trucks that came factory with gm 6.2's were retrofitted to run the 4 cylinder cummins. Those trucks had either turbo 400 or sm465 transmissions and the adapters are fairly easy to find in junk yards and online. I can't remember where i've read about this.

Another option is the gm 6.2 which is kinda a pig of motor though some people like them. There was a member that went by dieselyj that had one in a yj, might not hurt trying to search here or on google for him.

Some sites to check out would be turbo diesel register and the dieselplace.com, i'm sure there are more i just can't remeber them.

I don't think a trail rig is the rig to put a diesel in but that's me. Have a diesel tow rig that runs on bio diesel or vegi and just bit the bullet and fill up your trail rig with gas. Most diesels are heavy, loud, smelly and good luck finding an injection pump for one on a sunday when it went out 20 miles from pavment. Your gm tbi motor just about everything is in stock for it at just about every auto parts store on a sunday.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Andy's right about the little Cummins bread/potato chip truck motors. I worked on quite a few of these when I turned wrenches. Although bread isn't the heaviest cargo around, those little Cummins do a rather fine job of moving those giant boxes around town and down the highway. All of them I worked on were either stick or GM autos and they are turbo'd.

The drawback from what I remember would be that those companies drive those trucks into the ground. They had to meet DOT so that helped some, but the stop and go mileage was hard on them.

As far as diesel injector pumps go, I would rely just as much on them getting me out of the woods as any other fuel delivery system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
...There was a member that went by dieselyj that had one in a yj, might not hurt trying to search here or on google for him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Google returns a lot of results with his name, but most of those web sites aren't working. I've seen his name on other forums, but the only real info to find is in his forum signatures: 'YJ w/ a 6.2L diesel'. That's it. Too bad he never did a write-up.

I did find this site: http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/
Some guy there has a 92 YJ w/ a Cummins 4BT Diesel. Again, being new to this I don't know what 4BT means.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Just put Cummins 4BT in google. Tons of links.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts