Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience putting this on vehicles? I now have two small dents on the drivers side rear quarter, just below the tailight, that could be perfectly covererd up (and protected) in the future using a small piece of Diamond Plate cut and bent to size. I don't see where anyone using this stuff is bolting it to the body, if just seems to be stuck on with some kind of two sided 3M adhesive tape, any thoughts or experience here??????

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I'd like to do that too.
Cover up the cancer on my tailgate.
K bar S used to carry a rocker panel protector, but they're out of business.
I don't think they went behing the rear wheel wells though.
Tape huh? Yeah, that would be better than using countersunk sheet metal screws.
Diamond plate is heavy though. Be a bummer to have it fall off.

Jeff's Bronco Graveyard lists rocker guards, but no picture.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not! Not ready to head down the Kurt H. School of body building. Nor I am ready to go take any Keith Sawzall classes. But you did get me thinking about future plans for the lower rear quarters. You were talking about how tough it was sawing through the extra steel box thingy/area at the back of the rear quarters. My damage, whah, whah, is higher up, just under the tailight. Will never be sawing anything up that high. It could use extra protection though.

WD-40 Diamond plate I am talking about is not particularly heavy, about twice the thickness as normal body sheetmetal. No worries then with scratches and in this case there probably would have been no body dent. I would not use this for lower body panel protection, not near strong enough to hold up to any real impact.

G

·
I have some small pieces of D.P. left over from when I did my interior. How big of pieces do you need? I just used sheet metal screws but that was for the inside and I do have a problem with them coming loose.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sheet metal screws would not be the way to go on the outside. I can get the D.P. it is the proper attaching that I am trying to sort out...thanks though.

Looks like a fun rig there Shilo, but not one I would consider utilizing as my daily driver.

G

·
Hate to say it, but the only real secure way of putting those on is with rivets. I have use diamond plate a lot in the past, and the only thing that really held them on was rivets. I know it hurts to put them in a nice shiney rig like yours, but sometimes you have to bite the dust and go in. Could be worse though. At leats you don't have to do any cutting! Now that is hard to do, both physically and mentally (when it is a nice rige like yours that is). Well, don't know how much help I was, but oh well. hehe And Shilo, NICE rig!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't mind the holes in the body. The thing is in seeing some pics of vehicles with diamond plate, and seeing some diamond plate on vehicles on trails, never thought to wonder how it is kept on. I don't recall seeing rivets or bolts.

If I am going to rivet it, may as well get some small small round head bolts and bolt it?????

G

·
Have you thought about coating the areas with rhino lineings?? It looks good and you can get in colors.It should offer about the same protertion as a thin diamond plate and is repaired eazy.. just a thought

·
Registered
637 Posts
Juice,
Why are you opposed to pop-rivets? They are much easier to install than bolts/washers/nuts, will not come loose, are made from aluminum like the diamond plate so will polish/dull with the plate, you'll have no heads for anything to catch on, require a smaller hole to be drilled in the plate/body than bolts...I can go on (maybe not)

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I'm not opposed to rivets, they do seem weak as opposed to say a few 3/16" round head stainless bolts. It does appear though that the rivets are how a lot of jeep and zuki products for the rockers and corners are being held on.

As to Rhino, I think I prefer the D.P. approach. In this case I want to strengthen that area with more material (even though aluminum, it will still do much better if it takes another lick).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.