Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Just installed, so those with one in the rear please excuse me- WAAAHHHHOOOOOO.

I drive like a grandpa, seriously. Or, maybe I used to. Everyone kept warning me of the intricacies of a Detroit on corners. FUR SURE. If I drive like I normally do, I don't even feel it. Honestly. But just a bit-o-gas out of the strong running 351 and man, chirping corners, does the wierd "shuffle" I call it. To those who have driven one for a while they might not even notice it any more, but the "unlocking" going into a corner as I gas through it is interesting. Going around a corner I swear if I hit it, I would smokem'. Fun part is, the chirping takes very little throttle, no messin' with shifter.

I think those who advised me will prove right. In snow/ice, it will be fine, for those who know how to dirve with one. I also think my fears of adverse towing affects will be proven untrue. I do see that for the heavy footed, in slippery conditions, the Detroit could prove a handful. I like it. No, I love it. On Trails, I can't wait. Strengthwise, I only have two photos of the two carriers, and they speak for themselves. These will be up soon at my SuperF site. I won't go into install details, but suffice to say I did not feel comfortable with proper install (figuring backlash on the gears) so I had it done. this is too important to F up. Actually, we were all laughing because it was not as easy as anticipated. The guys at this shop are well accustomed to "aftermarket stuff", especially related to drivelines, and always like to say, "The directions say it just bolts right up
". In this case it was not a big deal, but, the stock axle shafts simply would not fit back in once the Detroit was in and you attempted to insert the Pin. The solution was to grind off a very small amount on the end of each axle shaft (don't worry, were are talking thousandths here, still plenty of steel to securely hold the C clip). Only then would we get it in, nice and snug.

There has been some construction on our road into our house, and there is a dirt/gravel piece at a corner. How easy it is to fishtail this baby now. AND, more importantly, how predictable it is to straighten her out. Not having the back seat or top makes the rear all the lighter.

I'm going to surf now to read up a little more on exactly how the Detroit operates as a Locker normally, but can disengage for differentiation. One question though:

What I don't quite comprehend is that it seems my tires loose traction (i.e. chirp or just begin to spin) more easily. Example, backing into my garage up a small hill, starting from an angle) Is it because the locker has not disengaged yet and you have 2 tires being given the same torque yet having to travel differing radii?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
when shes squeeking is when she is not unlocking. i have gotten used to mine, and it does suck when towing. i drive mine easy thoguh, and i know the feeling.
tight parking lots will feel very odd now as it chirps or bangs back there.
my detroit is broekn back there, it no longer disengages, but thats not a bad thing.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Does the ratcheting of the Detroit cause it to wear out faster or even break?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Too
TheJuice!
You think you like/love it now, just wait till you make your first trail run.

Is it because the locker has not disengaged yet and you have 2 tires being given the same torque yet having to travel differing radii?
Yep. Anytime you're turning, especially backing up a hill, that inside tire is gonna spin.
You're on the gas, and anytime power is applied to the diff, it's locked up.
I've got to rake the gravel in our driveway a couple times a month.
I back out of the garage, and go up-hill to the right a bit.
The inside tire is excavating a rather nice drainage area for me.

MY2ND78:
Does the ratcheting of the Detroit cause it to wear out faster or even break?
No. That's how it's supposed to work.
Actually, I consider it more of a "clicking" sound.

The only time I get a little nervous, is going down a pass in icy conditions.
The transition from "power on" to "coasting" causes the diff to go from locked (under power) to unlocked (letting up on the gas)
to locked again (coasting, but engine compression/braking will lock the diff again).
It's a funny little wiggle you'll feel from the rear of the truck.
Nothing that you can't get used to if you know what to expect.
Just be real smoooooooth on the gas in those conditions.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other question: I'm running Valv. 85W-140 in the rear as this is supposed to help with the Detroit's manners. I'm a little concerned about running this weight in Winter. Portland, OR does not usually see temps. below the 20's, but taking trips to the mountains...well I could see temps below that. What is everyone else running, especially those running a Detroit????? Anyone who does this but switches to 80W-90 for winter?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
i still think that the scariest place to have it is when you start(like a stop sign or light) on a road that is peaked in the middle that has fresh light snow. i find im almost at a 45 degree angle from sliding down with the rear of the truck towards the shoulders on road like that around here when i take off from a stop beofre i have enough momentum to let of the gas, wich cuase it tto coast strait, theni can get back on the power very easy, and then im okay.

·
Registered
975 Posts
WD40...I know that's how the Detroit is supposed to work, what I meant was, if I drive like grandpa and make it ratchet very rarely or drive it hard all the time so it's constantly locking and unlocking will there be a difference in wear on the internals?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MY2ND78, did you see yours going in? It is a solid piece of steel. the carrier itself is way sturdier than my old Trac Loc, and weighed about 4 lbs more too! It is very solidly designed, and my take is go ahead a mess with it, you may have problem with it at 200k instead of 300k
. I did an internet search and finally go some pics of the interals. Built to last.

SKUED, No it is easy to install. I chose not to install it myself, not because I did not know how it goes in, but because I was not comfortable setting the gears back properly. this is an expensive unit, not to mention gears, and shafts. To have a major blow up due to improper gear install is stupid.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Juice....I don't have one. Every time I consider it, I come up with 100 other things I could spend $600 on. Like my mortgage, bills, food. LMAO!!!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Re: Detroit Locker-Lube

TheJuice
I run Mobile1 85W-? in both my front and rear diffs....all year.
The last time I changed fluid in the rear, it was good as new.
Gears, everything in the diff looked great.
That's in 100° heat in summer, and 20° (below zero) in winter.

Edit:
OK, just checked.
The Mobil1 Gear Lube is 75W-90.
Specifications are here.
Happy reading!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts