Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the new gearless locker from Detroit? I have a '42 Jeep with open dana 44 rear and Dana 30 front. Need lockers but am on a budget(like who isn't). Vehicle is mostly for play. What are your recommendations.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Jeepskate says he has known of at least 3 people that have had problems with the gearless locker. Rosser has the Detroit "soft locker" on sale this month.
Drivetrain Direct made me a great deal on some 4.10s and Detroits. Save your money, get the real deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few guys on the Jeep Tech group have grenaded these things rather quickly. I'd look at some of the other options.

Regards,

Larry 85CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd... and $350 worth of Autometer Phantom gauges

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Since it's a plaything and you want to do it on a budget, I'd go with Detroit EZ-Lockers or Powertrax Lock-Rite's...whichever you can get the better deal on. As long as you aren't running a monster V8 and monster tires, these should work well for you...they're 'drop-in' lockers that go ino your existing carriers (BTW: Lock-rite is supposed to be releasing one that fits into Trac-Loc carriers next month). The Gearless is a compromise unit that's sort of a locker meets limited slip for those who daily drive their trail rigs. I peronally know 3 people who've blown them and there has been a recall of stock from dealers for faulty parts. None of the vehicles were being abused and they all blew on the street (one guy flat-towed from Chicago to Tellico, unhooked, and it blew as he was pulling into a Taco Bell parking lot to get something to eat).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.