Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a bid for $100 on a Detroit EZ locker for a Dana 30 w/ 27 spline. That's what I have. I feel that I need one for trail riding and it is recommended by the club I'm applying to. Anyone have any experience with them and are they ok for a daily driver/light off road(for now) Jeep?
Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Without locking hubs in the front you may not like it to much. Iran one in my 89 YJ for a while when I 1st started building up. They arent the smoothest locker when indexing power from wheel to wheel. It did work fine on the trail and in the mud, but not as well in the rocks. They are not as strong as a full carrier locker,but mine held up fine. Its awsome having something other than open dif up front. Beware though, a locker front and rear means you are really starting to have some fun, Driver ability not withstanding there are no limits. At a $100 bucks I would go for it. They are an easy install. If you have any trouble E mail me, I may still have the Tratech installation instructions and sticker.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
I just added an ez locker to my front end about three weeks ago and I'm loving it. I do have the instalation guide that I would mail to you if you need it. Also, when I first put mine in the carrier, the center of the locker rubbed on the inside of the carrier. So I took a porting tool and removed a small bit of the inside of the carrier. I took it on a very intense trail ride after that (it had a 5 out of 5 rating) and didn't have any problems. On the street you will notice a little drag when it comes to the gas milage, but a front locker helps so much, you won't care. They are easy to put together but let me know if you need anything, I'd be glad to help if you need it.

Aaron
95YJ SOA
w/many mods

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How will it be if I don't have a locker in the rear. I might have to retract my bid anyway since I'm friggin broke!!!! Food or Jeep?.....Food or Jeep?.....Food or Jeep?.....Food or Jeep?.....Food or Jeep?.....Damn!! Jeep keeps winning. Is a front locker enough for "scenic trails with moderate obstacles"(from the OHV Extravaganza in Paragon Adventure Park in PA.)
The Jeep is stock with only 30 in., but mean ass, tires on it.
Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Just a front locker in the Jeep will not hurt a thing. When I first thought about putting lockers in mine the front locker was the first one that I got. It didn't get put in first but it was in my hands before I even thought about the rear locker. This was because of the was I got the locker. I got it from a buddy in my club for free because he switched to ARB's front and rear. If it wasn't for finding the Super 35 kit with detriot locker I would only have a front locker right now. E-mail me and we'll talk about the thing. As far as food goes, sorry I can't help there.

Aaron
95YJ SOA
w/many mods

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have one in my '93 wrangler. I had heard that the steering drag was a problem, but I haven't had any. With the front disconnect-type axle you will now turn the front drive shaft which can decrease gas mileage. I haven't really noticed any decrease.

On the trail it helps a lot. I am heading to moab next week and will see how it handles on so much of the slick rock. I think any front locker is going to chirp a little when trying to turn (if it is too bad I may rig up a 'rock lock' device.

I would go for it. It really will improve your jeep's ability.

-raymo

G

·
Well go put in another bid !!!! Here is the way it goes. As long as you have a place to work on your Jeep( roof or cover overhead is nice but optional)enough money to buy a case of Kraft dinner for the week and most important, enough beer in the fridge while you work on your Jeep ( NO , not while your driving it ) . That`s all you really need , right ? /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
This year alone I've put a couple grand into my Jeep and I plan on putting in a couple more in the next few months. I've quit going out to eat, except for Publix's subs for lunch, and quit doing things that cost money. (Going to the beach and watching girls in bikinis for hours is just as much fun as going to the movies, cheaper, and possibly more productive...) I also work about 60hrs a week now with just the weekends off, so there isn't a whole lot of time to spend the extra money. The only thing about all of this that pisses me off is...taxes! If I work three times what I normally would, I only make about twice as much! We should be able to write a Jeep off as a child, since we easily put as much money into them.... Yeah, vote for me as president, and 4-wheel drive vehichles will be a tax write-off! We'll hold Camp Jeep in Camp David and Declare the Top Truck Challenge a National Holiday!

My Jeep is just a leaky submarine in disquise

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.