Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have or has anyone used Desktop Dyno (either the 2000 version or the SE version)? I was wandering if it was worth the money. I would like to run a couple of engines on them to see how well they would work before spending the money on them. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have used it. I can't remember what version. It was ok, but there just isn't a whole lot to it. The newer version may be different though. I think the version I have is only like 500k or something. You could send the whole thing in email. Let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I have it and use if often.
If you use basically unmodified parts, just as they come out of the box, the Desktop Dyno 2000 program is pretty close up to about 500 horse power.
After 500 horse power, tuning plays such a large part in horse power output that the program can't take into account all of the variables, and just assumes you know how to '**** tune' the engine.

Under 500 horsepower we find it to generally be with in 5 to 10%

We use it a lot to change around cam specs.
The 2000 version lets you enter any cam specs you want, so we enter all of the manufacturers specs, and we can change cams in a few clicks...
It's usually pretty close to what we actually get on the dyno...
Usually the program is a little conservative. I don't know if we just get more out of an engine than the normal Joe would, or they stayed conservative just to be cautious.
We may just know enough little tricks to get 'A little more' than most people...
Who is to say...

I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
"After 500 horse power, tuning plays such a large part in horse power output that the program can't take into account all of the variables, and just assumes you know how to '**** tune' the engine."

I had no idea that small furry animals were that talented...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know if the older version lets you change the Cam specs? What about different types and sizes of pistons (ie. 12cc dish)? Since I think the engine specs that I have will only produce around 320HP and 380 lb/ft do think the program would work well and be worht the money. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tim, let me check mine out when I get home this afternoon and I'll email you. I think the version I have lets you change the cam around.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking around to see if I could find an evaluation copy but I dont think they have one . Too bad ! If anyone knows if there is one available , drop us a line . Thanks . It is something I would like to try a couple times too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts