Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a degree wheel, but have never used one before, any info to share with me anyone?
I assume it bolts to the end of the cam and I will need a pointer or some such?
Will I need a dial gauge too ?
TIA
Alf.

· Registered
10,738 Posts
It all depends on what you want to accomplish.
Usually you mount the degree wheel to the crank - to index the cam properly, or re-mark timing marks.
You need to make sure to set the wheel to exact TDC, not the damper indicator - which can be off as much as 5, 6 or more.
Use a piston stop (make or buy it,) pointer (piece of wire). Rotate the engine by hand until it stops, note the reading, Turn it backwards until it stops - note reading -- 1/2 way between is exact TDC - move crank to that spot, and set the wheel to 0. Now it's usable.
Then do whatever you are trying to do.

For help on degreeing a cam, internet search Crane Cams instructions - good info. You'll need a dial indicator with magnetic base, pad of paper, paint marker, and cam card.

· Registered
114 Posts
Hey Alf

Yup you will need a dial gauge, and the wheel goes on the front of the crank.

I just found an article that describes the process quickly here:

Degreeing a cam

I did this once one a Honda, and I made the degree wheel by printing it out on my computer. I made it the same diameter as the pully so I could tape it on with double sided tape.

Got to go now, I'm buggered. We went through Thompsons Track yesterday. Got through OK, but a rear wheel bearing died as soon as we got on the main road, 150km from home! Had lots of fun trying to arrange a trailer, and ended up staying in a campground in Te Aroha at 1:00am. Towed back to Auckland this morning at 7:00, then had to go back to drop off the trailer. Got to figure out how to seal the rear bearings better now, they were near new!
We went in with two Nissan Safari's on 36" Simex's and a lexus v8 powered hilux on 35" simex's, so we were definately the midget of the group.
Lot's of winching, and I now have a tide mark from the mud inside the zook. One bog was about bonnet level deep and 15 meters long, winching the whole way - I like my 8274

Ben

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ben, sounds like you are out getting it, yeah?
T Track is on my list, but my cond. may prevent it. Guess i'll need to rope in a gopher.
Thanks
A.

· Registered
114 Posts
Hey Alf

I hope you get a chance to go through Thompsons. It's only about 10km, but one of the guys in our group had been through twice before, and been stuck overnight both times, once for three days!
Having said that, one of the others had been through and back in one day. Depends on the conditions, and a bit of luck I guess.

I'd reccomend going with at least 3 others, all with winches, just in case though.

Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.