Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, should I get a new Z400 or should I buy an old 250R or something. I want a real shreddder but can't make up my mind. I ride trails and am never on a track, but I tear it up pretty good. How funny do two strokes act at lower RPM's ? I don't know. I cant Decide. Also how much more does it cost to maintain a 2 stroker? Or how reliable are they? Some feed back please. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
get a darn two stroke they rule...contrary to legend two stokes are not unreliable POSs...you will be able to get alot of power out of an R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
two strokes at "low" rpm's just plain don't have much power, but you never really ride anything at "low" rpm all the time, the honda 250r's and zuki 250r's are great trail machines. GREAT!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a two stroke HAS TO run at high RPM, or it will load up and foul plugs, therefore on a two stroke you are going fast all the time , and on trails you DONT want that, with a 4 stroke you can slow down, give it gas a lower RPM and it will have the tourque you need, a LTZ400 will be a better trail bike BY FAR than a 250R

·
Registered
215 Posts
if you are just riding trailes, get a four stroke. it will a lot more fun for your money! less matanence. plus if you get low on fuel out in the middle of nowhere it's hard to find oil unless you've brought it with you. and that can be a pain! dont get me wrong i like the 2-strokes. i have raced a bunch of diffrent ones. but for play riding i like to ride my thumper!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
if you want to go fast get a two stroke if you are going to ride like a pussy get a 4 stroke bahaha

·
Registered
847 Posts
Personally, get yourself a 2 stroke. Depends on what you want it for though. The post about fouling plugs. If you dont know how to mix your gas, yeah, you will foul plugs. I have more miles on my 250r in the desert than most have highway miles on their car. If you take care of your quad, cleaning airfilter changing the oil etc...You should have no problems. This goes for any bike. So, my personal advise would be get a 2 stroke. You will see them getting harder and harder to find though due to environmental reasons which is a crock of you know what.....

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
most 4 srokes modded could beat a 250r modded, yes go with a 4, cause trail ridden is not the best thing to do with a 2.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
thats why all the top GNCC (cross country woods racing stuff) racers run two strokes right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
exactly, my friend justin's 250r was pretty much stock and almost hung with a stock raptor, throw a 330 kit in it, nice pipe and silencer and gear it up a bit and it'd run the raptor off the road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh,,,wait a minute. Then you gotta add a stroker kit to the Raptor, swap out 2nd, add a pipe....

Hey kid, do you want to wrench on it or ride it? Go get a nice new four stroke and spend ALL your time ridin and refuelin.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
have you ever riden a two stroke in the woods? if you know how to shift and work the clutch and ride agressively you cant be beat...again thats why the top riders in GNCC are running 2 strokes...heck for a couple years in the GNCC a guy on a banshee with a stock frame was in the top five (over all) and there wasnt a 400ex until like 8th overall or so..two strokes are better for an agressive rider and this guy says he is

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im w/98warrior, i'd prefer a two stroke in the woods, more of a rush..that's what i think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well you said you want a real shreader.Sounds like a two stroke to me.Look at it this way you can pick up a nice r for like 2800.00 and have soom money to play with.verses the price of an z.two strokes dont putt. but they do scream.just find someone with a two stroke of anykind and take a spin.yall be hooked im sure.as far as maintance the two stroke will need a ring replace like every 80 hours ride time.if you want to save your bore and prolong its life.every other ring change requires you to change the piston also.its realy not that much to it though.30 bucks for rings 80 and up for pistons if im not mistaken.but thats nothing compared to fooling with vavles on a four stroke.that can get real exspensive fast.i curently own a blaster and it rides trails like a dream and will shread anytime you want.if you like turning corners go with the four stroke if you like shreading corners get the two stroke its that simple.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im havin the same issue... my bf levi wants me to buy an old 250r now so i'll have somethin to ride while i save up to buy my kfx400.. but gee.. i dont really wanna do that.... im sick of havin used & second-hand stuff..... i know in some ways his point makes sense... but buyin a used quad.. kinda scary.. just think what sorta crap they put it through... i really dont want an older one either... i wouldnt get much goin on the track... and id have to wait even longer to be able to race, cuz i doubt whatever used POS i'd buy would keep up on the track... and he says well its mostly skills... u dont need so much power and bla bla bla.... he said somethin about a blaster.... im like that thing is as small as my Honda....Id be so cramped riding that thing.... grrrrrrrrrrrrr............................

·
Registered
215 Posts
like going fast. my 650 did 107 out of the box.its faster now that i have added a few things. i have beaten quit a few guys out in the desert with there so called fast 2-strokes! besides i dont think johnny or ty are pussys and they both ride thumpers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mxtrackchic....u obviously don't have any friggin clue what a 250r is then, a 250r will beat the sh!t outta an LTZ400, i would almost lay money on that, u won't find a 250r in "P.O.S" shape! Mostly all of them are very well taken care of, their suspension was like the best of the time, and if u bought one it would probably have aftermarket suspension on it anyhow...a lot, and i mean a LOT of gncc riders ride 250r's....and u think buying one will leave you with a "used piece of sh!t"??? lol, "don't think it will keep up on the track" they are some of the saddest words ive ever heard uddered about a 250r. Shame on you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.