Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PO put headers on my Jeepster, of course they weren't the correct ones, so he had the tubes cut and welded to fit without cutting the fender (of course it's dual exhaust). In addition what I thought were bad flowmaster mufflers, are more like cherry bomb mufflers, in any case I'm tired of being heard 10 minutes before I get to my destination, so with that in mind I headed down to my local Midas Mufflers shop (first mistake). Now the exhaust system is fairly new and all the pipes are good. The Midas guy quoted me $470 to put two mufflers on. I think I offended him, but after I got through laughing I left!

Bottom line, I need to switch out the mufflers to something much quieter (I already have 40% hearing loss, and this ain't helping). My question is should I stick with the headers, which are probably doing me no harm, but because they've been cut, are probably not adding anything either, and just get some new mufflers, which I could probably bolt on, or should I get a set of stock rear dump manifolds and have the whole system re-done, keeping dual exhaust (which would cost some serious money). Ideas, comments?

BTW, there are other more pressing things that the Jeepster needs and that I would rather spend the money on. I'm really trying to keep this cheap, but would also like to do it right, and once.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If you want it done right, and reasonably cheap, I would try to find some junkyard exhaust manifolds and then shop around for an independent muffler shop to re-do your system. I got a quote of about $225 for a new dual exhaust system, from the manifolds back. There are some good old posts regarding the best pipe sizes, etc. if you do a search.

Good luck,

G

·
If rest the pipes are good I'd just measure the current mufflers (length, inlet/outlet dia.) and head to the local parts store. Find some OE replacement mufflers, 4 muffler clamps and be done with it for under $50 ($55 if you count the 6 pack it'll take to complete the job). Leave the headers for now, they probably aren't helping or hurting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
excellent suggestion, i find mufflers by size almost every day for people. did a jeep a couple of days ago. the napa walker muffler book has pictures of the mufflers in the back of the book with inlet and outlet and physical sizes. ask for the 18 series smu mufflers. they are economical and decent quality. joe

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I don't know where you are in the bay area but a shop here in San Jose called Babe's and Lightning muffler did mine for 170.00 a couple years ago while I waited. I have always had good luck with them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick response!!!

Tom, I like the way you think, but is one six pack enough?

GQster, I did the header gaskets right after I got old blue. they were in ragged shape, but I just checked for leaks and they are fine.

I think for the foreseeable future it's a trip down to Napa auto parts, or I might even head down to San Jose and have it done. (thanks Walter, BTW I'm in San Ramon)

·
Registered
298 Posts
My local Meineke shop here in Redwood City did mine for $300 four years ago, daily driver. Not a out of line peep since. I've been back for other things a couple of times. Maybe Midas just didn't want to do it....

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just a thought- if you wanna keep headers, the only thing my PO did right (OK, he didn't do it, but he HAD it done) was to take a set of CJ headers and extend them with tubing that fit tightly over them down the sides. It fits well with no cutting, and looks good. If you want to see pics, lemme know.

Steve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.