Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. I have a 92 XJ with 120k mi and in great mechanical condition, at least before I started trying to lift it. I first installed 2in Teraflex spacers in the front and had full length add-a-leaf made and installed in the rear by a proffessional spring shop in Okla City. Stock everything else except rancho5000 shocks. It would do a death wobble if you hit a series of bumps or severe road jionts at highway speeds. All steering and suspension components seemed good and tight. I ordered Rusty's 3 in springs for the front and a 1inch shackle for the rear to level it out, and a Rusty's trac-bar and installed them. I also got Rusty's shocks at the same time. The first test ride was scarry. Wobble was ferocious at anything over 35mph on bumps it took with no trouble before. I had the alignment checked by a good front-end shop and caster was in the ballpark. I got Rusty's lower control arms and the wobble got a little better. I have replaced the sterring gear box with a ZJ box that had a slightly lower pitman arm with no change. I had the upper control arm bushings pressed out and replaced with no change. I have shimmed the lca's all the way foreward and all the way back with no noticable change. I have tried different front wheels and tires with no change. I put on a Rancho steering stabilizer with the new gear box with no change. I have had various so called experts look at it and they all say everything looks tight and suggest the things I have already tried. I have the p235 all-terrains. Can you suggest anything else? Or tell me who to talk to. I am very frustrated and dont' want to back out if there is still any hope. Please foreward this to any one thet might have any insight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It looks like you've gone through quite a bit. Try looking at the components yourself. Have someone else turn the steering wheel back and forth and watch the different parts of the steering components.

When you installed Rusty's track bar, did you upgrade to a 7/16" bolt on the axle mount? If not, I'll bet you will see some movement there. I chased the DW around for a while too, and while I'm still aprehensive about one bump that always set it off before, It seems to have cleared up since I upgraded the trackbar bolt.

Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didn't, but I will. The bushing in the new trac-bar was smaller than the stock one and fit the stock bolt but I'm going to change it anyway!
Thanks
Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts