Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealership\'s responsiblity???????????

This dealership sells Jeeps too, so this is technically on topic.
Back in November, my girlfriend got into a major front head on collision with a d|ckhead who ran a redlight, she was turning he was going straight so mostly head on. After she healed a bit we went new car shopping for her. We went to a dealership and picked out a 98 Sunfire that was used. One of the questions we had for the salesman was: "Has this car ever been in an accident?" Very straight forward and could be answered with a yes or no. He said, "No, none of the cars that we sell have been in any accidents. We check the title history and we don't purchase any vehicles that have had accidents." She bought the car. I noticed the first week she owned it that the horn didn't work and that the front end made a lot of noise on the highway. I suspected for a second that the airbag had been deployed since the horn wasn't working on a car so new.
She had it fixed and she was on her way. I suggested taking it in for the noise, but I figured it could also be uneven tire wear so we didn't.
I drove it the other day and just knew something wasn't right with the car, so I paid $20 and had a title check ran on the VIN #.
Found out that on 4/23/98 that it had a head on collision with another vehicle in Baltimore County.
Dealer said, "No accidents".
I am going up there tomorrow as a loaded gun and I'm going to get some satisfaction one way or another, whether by ourselves or with her lawyer.
I need to know from you guys, if you know, what her rights are in this situation. The car has a 5 yr warranty on it, but I know that front end collisions can [email protected]#k a car up for life no matter how good of a paint job it has.
What can we do?
Some help please. I know you fellas are the ones that can help me before I go to jail for getting my point across to them.
Thanks
Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif and Jeepchick

G

·
Re: Dealership\'s responsiblity???????????

First and most important, stay calm, don't try, do it. It will make you seem more sane. If they try to dick-you over then get mad, just try not to loose it. Try to get the dealer to buy back the car for what you paid for it. in other words, try to get all of your money back. If the salesman lied to you then you should be entitled to it. Hid did a background check, what??? Having a lawyer on this one is a good thought because the laws vary form statw to state. But then again, dealer dishonesty is nothing to smile about/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

Good luck, give'em hell!

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'm actually not going to do anything rash. When I say go up as a loaded gun, I mean going up there after sitting here researching the laws on the subject. I argue very well with businesses when they have wronged me, or my girlfriend, and most of the time get what I went in there for. Only after a lot of advice and calm conversation with a sales associate. I have to wait until I see some potential customers in there first. Nobody likes a scene. Best Buy got their's last month over stripping my windshield retaining bracket bolts.
I suggest to anyone buying a used car from anywhere to use the tool
www.carfax.com That's how we found out.

Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·

Just watched a "news" show on this very subject last week. (20/20, 60min) somthing like that. A father bought his son a used Corvette. The dealer said the car was NEVER in an accident. Well, a short time later, the vette swerved violently off the road and flipped over..seriously injuring the boy. They found out that the Vette had been in a serious front end collision and shoddily repaired. The frame had been cut/welded in many locations after the first accident. In short, They sued the Dealer and the repair shop that made the shoddy repairs. They won an undisclosed amount. Although this car has not caused you to GET in an accident, it may someday. God forbid if your girlfriend gets in an accident with it and the airbag doesnt deploy. I would nip this in the butt as soon as possible. Get a lawyer and go prepared. Take a copy of the Title History report with you. I personally feel all used car dealers should be resoponsible for checking title histories of every car they sell, instead of being a revolving door for salvaged and unsafe cars. Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts