Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My windshield wipers are finally dead after about a year of sporadic performance. What happens is that they move real slow (either speed) for a few strokes, then stop. When they stop, I hear the alternator load up and also the headlights flicker for a second, then everything is fine except the wipers don't work. Is it the wiper motor? I'm planning on pulling it this weekend to try and pinpoint the problem, but before I go through with it of course I have to tap the expertise on this board. That and I'm a complete stooge when it comes to electrical stuff! Thanks for any help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Try the wiper controller attached by Velcro above your steering column. It's a black plastic box with a ribbon cable attached to it. The power transistor has a bad habbit of burning out. Cost from Jeep is about $32.00.

Hewgag

Right Wrongs Nobody

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the wiper controller bypass doesn't help, you may need to replace the motor. Good auto parts stores have rebuilt ones availabe for around $60 exchange. New ones are around $150! Also check for objects such as large pens or cigarette lighters that are jamming the linkage! The wipers usually stick about halfway through their travel when this occurs. In my experience this is what causes the motors to burn out. The lights dimming and the alt charging hard for a moment occurs while the motor is shorted and until the circuit breaker opens. You will have to fold the windshield down to access the motor. Be sure to soak the windshield pivots with penetrating oil, if you don't fold it down often, as they tend to rust and bind. Also, if you apply heat to the head of the Torx screws that hold the roll bar to the frame it will melt the locktight that makes them difficult to remove. The Wrangler windshield frame has large openings that allow access to the linkages but also allow objects that are left on top of the dash to fall into the windshield frame and bind up the linkages. Seal these off with some duct tape before you raise the frame back up to prevent entry of foreign objects.
Some earlier YJs have a recall for the windshield frame that adds a reinforcement plate and revised linkages. On these models, the outer panel that supports the wiper pivots cracks causing a bind in the linkages. If the frame is cracked, the recall covers a replacement frame including paint! Unfortunately, it doesn't cover the motor. I believe the number of the recall is 271T, and it covers frome '87 up to around '89-'90 models. Check with your dealer to see if your model is covered. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
That lighter thing stopping the wipers must be more common than I thought. Had a guy at the office lay
one on the dash which fell in there and stopped his wipers. I thought about passing this on when I first
saw the post and read the description of what happened when the wipers quit, but thought it was too
much of a coincidence to be the same problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Dead Wiper Motor? Thanks!!

Thanks for the info everyone. Getting wiper motor access was no problem. No obstructions of the linkage, but I did pull it apart and clean and grease everything. Everything was working great until it started to rain--then it all acted up again. I don't know if the moisture is causing problems or if it is the cold. I WD-40'd all electrical contacts I could locate, but this did not help. I got a replacement motor and will put that in next. If that does not solve it, then it might be time to take it to the dealer...Ack!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.