Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hate drum brakes when it comes to running mud. I got an 11inch brake conversion for my CJ5 a year and a half ago. Well about three months ago or so... my jeep would pull to the side, then the pedal will "pop" and the other side will grab. It turned out that the wheel cylinder crapped out because of all the mud I run. It got inside the rubber boot and rusted away. Well I changed both sides with new wheel cylinders. Well daarn it it is happening again. I pulled off one wheel to change out the bearing and cleaned everything up, but I did not do the other side. Sure enough it is the other side that is the culprit from grabbing. It is not a fun thing when I have to panic brake. Believe me I do not follow closely to ther vehicles. I have to tell my fiance to hold on when i try to get the other s]cylinder to unstick. I will press the brake pedal, the jeep pulls to the left, then "pop" and the jeep now pulls to the right. Well i have to pull the jeep apart tomorrow and fix it. It really sucks that it has only been about 3 months since the last time i fixed them. I cannot wait to put my disc brake dana 30 in. Drums Suck. And the bad thing is i try to do as much preventive maintenenace as possible, but the mud and water gets inside that boot and causes havoc. This time i am going to RTV the boot to the metal cylinder and RTV the pushrod to the boot, hopefully this will cure it.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
1946 CJ2a Stock and loving it

G

·
Um.. I have that problem every time that I go anywhere offroad. I fixed them once but after that I just went to the hold half way down method till they dry off. Well good luck.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I pulled off that cilinder and sure enough, there is a plenty of rust in there to cause it to stick. I TRV just the outside boot and where the pushrod enters, and made sure to wipe off any that is near the piston, Hopefully this works. Is there a better method of keeping water out of the wheel cylinders?

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member
1946 CJ2A sotck and loving it

G

·
Keeping water out...not that I know of. But I have seen people spray the actuator (little finger sticking out from the cylinder--don't know what it's really called) with silicone spray (the kind that dries, not the kind that stays liquid) with good results.

I Jeep, therefore I am.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I was thinking, why don't you jam the rubbers full of grease, grease and water don't mix too well and it would check the the cylinder clean of water, that's just a suggestion I haven't really thought of the downsides of it
Chad

84 CJ-7 Just completed, t-18/dana20, dana44 rearw/welded diff dana 30 front and the old 258 amc. http://[email protected]

G

·
And on the 6th day the Lord looked down upon the poor Jeepers with their crappy brakes and gave them disc brakes, and there was much rejoicing!

It will never be finished unless it burns up in the woods.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
One word: Expensive!

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts