Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been answered, but is it me or does arc welding on your rig engine on(to run the atl.) a lil dangerous. The only time I have seen welding done to a vehicle, they took out the gas tank and flushed the fuel system. Also i picked up the JPmag(April) yesterday and it has an article on arc welding with batteries. pretty interesting, alot cheaper than buying on on-board system. I would love to learn how to weld and have a unit, any suggestions.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Well, Ramy.....if I had to take the fuel tank off my service rig each time I welded something on the deck of the rig, it would have had to have been equipped with quick disconnects. It usually isn't a problem to weld on a vehicle, you just need to use common sense. Obviously, if you are building a rear bumper and doing a lot of welding in the rear, it would be prudent to take the time to remove the fuel tank and stuff a plug in the fuel lines...like a cut-off bolt in each hose.....for safety. Welding CAN ignite gasoline fumes, and so can using a torch. YEARS AGO, when alternators were first used(like in about 1965 or so) if you touched a welder to an alternator-equipped vehicle, POOF went the diodes. Also, welding right on top of an engine that has recently been running may ignite stray vapor from the carb. All things considered, welding on a vehicle is surprisingly safe if you just think a litle bit./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I saw that article in our latest JP magazine also, and you know, I just HAVE to try that. I'm a very experienced welder, and the whole idea just intrigues me. Imagine you are at a Jeep run and somebody breaks something. You circle the Jeeps and out come the cables! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.