Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98TJ with a 35 rear end.
I also have a wrecked ZJ with a aluminum 44.
Is it worth the time to put this 44 in my TJ?
Does it have the same axles and 3rd member as the cast 44?

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
nope. It's far from the strength of a normal D44. much closer to the strength of a D35.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What about the other way around, are there any D44 Wrangler axles that will bolt into a 99 WJ? We just bought it, and I am being timid with it because I have heard these axles aren't the best. I am running 315x75x16's and would like to find a bolt in axle if possible.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I think the Ford 9-inch from an Exploder is pretty close. You have to change suspension attachment points, but that's of no consequence. Do a search for Ford 9.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
What about the other way around, are there any D44 Wrangler axles that will bolt into a 99 WJ? We just bought it, and I am being timid with it because I have heard these axles aren't the best. I am running 315x75x16's and would like to find a bolt in axle if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are TJ's with D44's, but they are Rare, or at least not as plentiful as 35's. But they won't bolt up, the Control arm mounts are different.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses. I am going to have to do some homework on this. I can fab, but like to do as little as possible. I will check the two axles out that have been mentioned.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Explorers have 8.8" axles.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Explorers have 8.8" axles.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, 8.8's and I think the width is 1" narrower, or maybe 1" each side. which isn't all that bad. good compromise for adding Disc brakes at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts