Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAVING TROUBLE GETTING INTO 4WD HIGH OR LOW AND BACK INTO 2WD. I HEAR WHINING/GRINDING NOISE. SHOULD I BE IN PARK OR NEUTRAL AT ENGAGEMENT?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is preferable to not be in gear when shifting the D300. The whining and grinding noises are cause for concern. It is a durable gear driven case of simple design, there are 2 shift rails moving 2 shift forks that move 2 "clutches" that engage the various drive modes, with an intermediate gear in between the sets of drive gears. Generally, whining and grinding noises can be caused by worn or bent shift forks, or worn or broken teeth. Worn bearings can also cause noise. I would check the fluid level, possibly drain the fluid and look for metal particles. The t-case, if in need of service, is easy to remove and fairly easy to work on. I am guessing this particular case has quite a few miles on it. Something as simple as a fluid change using a synthetic may be enough. But, if any of the seals are leaking along with the noises, it may be time to take a look inside. (A TeraLow conversion isn't such a bad idea, either.) /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.