Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are your guys thougths on dana 60's? in my endless seach for better axles i have come across several of them. i understand that they are pretty beefy axles..but how much of a benefit would i gain from having dana 6o's? my main concern is loosing to much ground clearance and will drag the diff over everything. i will only be running 35's..is that enough clearance or is it just better to put dana 44's front and rear. can i use dana 60's front and rear out of a ford. or should i just use a 60 rear, and a 44 front.?

81 cj-7,360,SOA,35's,locked rear,fullcage

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
most fords diff would be on the wrong side for a cj
the 60 only hangs down an inch lower than a 44

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3/4tonyj has done the swap, looks great. You can check it out on his page, can't seem to find the url, maybe somebody else has
it, or better yet if 3/4ton is still hanging around.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
How does the D60 clearance compare to the D70? How about the 14 Bolt? I'm thinking about upgrading again at a later date (after the 350, doubler, and 38" Boggers). I was going to run D60 front, with Detroit or ARB, but was thinking D70 or 14 Bolt for the rear, with full spool.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just came across a dana 60 out of a 3/4 ton GM, it has 4.56's and is full floating for 300$ is this a good axle to put under my cj? and is it a good price?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blackcj, that full floater D60 you saw, I'll bet it's an 8 lug bolt unit. Before you buy make sure you can change it to a 5 on 5 1/2.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the gm ff dana 60 is an 8 lug, is there a way i can change that, like take it to a machine shop and have them change the bolt pattern, or i recall some one offering a kit that changes 8 bolts to 5 or vice versa...

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
well i will be running a d60 out of a pre 74 jeep pickup.. its semi floating .. with 35 splines.. 1 and half inch axles... and its already 5 on 5 and half.. all pre 74 jeeps are.. mine was out of the 1/2 ton.. with a heavy duty option.. but the 3/4 and 1 tons came with it stock.. 1/2 usually had d44's front and rear.. infact will be putting it under the jeep friday.. just got it painted and cleaned today.. put together tomorrow.. they also came with 4.10's..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
how much would that set of axles set me back, outta that pre 74 jeep trucks...?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
depends on where you get them... try to find an old truck in someones yard.. could get it really cheap.. kinda hard to find in junkyards.. since they are so old.. i traded for mine.. so i cant help for a price quote

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that sounds like a really nice, somewhat cheap axle swap for my jeep...its beefy, got good gearing...and pretty length to them, a hell of alot better then my narrow track axles...thanks for the info, i will look around

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a front D60 in that GM isnt it? I am not 100% sure but I don't think GM ever had a FF rear D60, only Semi's. Could be wrong though.

'93 YJ, SOA, 3/4 Elliptical
Coming Soon: D44 front, D60 rear, and......new tires

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the guy who is selling it says it is a full floater rear dana 6o with stock 4.56's, it does sound a little strange, he claims it is from a 70's or so 3/4 ton gm...i havent done enough research to know if the made a full floating rear...maybe the guy doesnt know the diff between full and semi.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jeepgod,
What specific year are you talking about for a J series with a 5 lug rear 60?
I know b/w 69-73 the only 60's are out of J20s and are 8 lug and J10's are 6 lug and are 44's.
However I don't have pre-67 info that's why I'm asking.

Lee

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my info says dana 60's were never used in j-10, but were used in j-20 from 70-86. 74-75 j-20's used a regular dana 60, 1976-86 used a full floating 60 while 1970-73 used to diff types of dana 60's but i am not sure of the difference...i am also not sure of the # of lugs on those axles. as for front axles i think they all used 44's.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
when buying a dana 60 i would pull an axle shaft or the diff cover and check the axle shaft splines, some older dana 60's had 19 spline shafts, i even herad of 10, (30 is normal for 3/4ton's, and some even had 35 spline shafts) also i don't do this but i think it would be best to find a matching set of axles for do a swap, ya know same gears (size you want) and width, this will save money in the long run.

also a dana 60 diff. does hang down kind of low, but i just think it looks cool.
also it drags alittle but it don't seem to be hurting it.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
If it's from a '68-72 Chevy, it's full floating and it has 4.56's. The problem is, it's a fairly rare axle and not compatable with the later models. An easy way to check is to look at the rear pumpkin. If it has a perfectly round diff cover (just a lot larger), it's the one. It's a corporate GM axle, plenty strong, just an oddball of sorts. My dad has one in his '71 3/4 Ton.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for all the info on the 60. i guess now i need to start climbing around in junk yards looking for what i need. the 3/4 ton j series truck from jeep has what name? is it a j-20, j-200, or j-300? these names are soo confusing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.