Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of mods would I have to make to put a Dana 60 in the back of my CJ-7 ('76, 304, 3 speed), it's got the
stock AMC 20 with 35's (bought it like that) right now? Would I have to make major changes with the brakes, or
anything for that matter? I've thought about going to a 44, but I have been told that a 44 isn't much stronger than
what I've got. I want something tough back there so when I go wheelin I don't have to worry about it as much.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
As with almost any axle swap you will need to move the spring pearches and shock mounts. also the rear drive shaft will need to be shorted, So, there are many kinds of dana 60's, most are 8-lug and wider than your AMC 20. if you don't want it "full length" it will need to be narrowed (or maybe changing the offset of the wheels, this is my dana 60 link http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton/dana60.html
and if you can't find one with the same gear ratio you will of course need that changed also. and depending on the brakes that you use, a new master cylinder might be needed.
(i have a 60, but ford 9" rear ends are a good sway into CJ's also, same bolt pattern. generally they aren't as wide as 60's)

3/4tonYJ
http://My Jeep Page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does one have to do to shorten the rear drive shaft? Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
just machine/cut off a weld and cut down the tubing, then reweld it.

Shortening the rear driveshaft isn't a big deal but it does need to done with some special equipment, and by someone(@ shop) that does it all the time, it needs to be very straight and then re-balanced. you'll need to take very good measurements of how long you want it to be.

also if your going for alot of articulation you might want to consider a longer than stock slip-yoke. one more note, driveshaft tubing is special, cost more than standard tubing, always costs alot less if you need it shortened vice lenghtened.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about putting a Dana 44 up front? What does this entail? Pretty much the same thing as the 60 in the rear?
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, putting the 44 up front is a LOT more difficult than swapping in a 60 rear. I won't even try to attempt the details as I'm not an expert. But, I do have one question. Are you having problems with the running gear that's in there now? No harm dreaming about "bigger & better", or even planning for it now, so you'll be ready if & when you need it. But, my thought is plan&prepare all you want, but don't trash what's there just yet if it's not causing problems. Just my $.02.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a D60 on my TJ. A very fine axle. Probably overkill on a Jeep with stock engine. A D20 when properly modified is not a bad axle at all. One piece axle shafts and some reinforcing on the housing and tubing, and it will handle a lot of stress. More than a D44, probably. You can do those modifications cheaper than replacing the axle in all probability. Ask some more folks about a well built 20 vs a 60. I think you will be surprised especially since you will not have to change drive shaft length, weld on new spring perches etc.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
My Web Site

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.