Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help IDing an axle. From the phone the guy doesn't know anymore than this. It is out of a '72 Chevy 1 ton dually-Frito Lay Delivery van. It is 64" wide. I am wanting to put this on a CJ5 with a T18. Will this be able to work w/o an incredible amount of pain. I understand some '75 or before full floaters had 16 spline shafts and the parts are obsolete now. Any other cautions? I have yet to see it myself and he doesn't know anything else. The price seems pretty good if it will work. Thanks for the inputs.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I just picked up a 76 D60 with 16 spline shafts. I do plan to throw away the shafts and convert it to a semi floater.
Here a couple of pictures that may help you id the axle. If you look at the lower right hand web on the punkin, you will see the number 60..

Trailhed.com

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyway to tell if the unit has the 16 spline shafts?-I am hoping I can see through the carrier. I think this is a full floating rear since it is off a van. Any idea how much money to convert? If I do that, I might as well cut it down also, then I could reuse the shafts I would imagine, just have them resplined to 35. I would probably be putting in a locker anyway so I see that as the major conversion cost and $120 to respline from Moser. Anything else I am missing. The unit is for sale for $150 which sounds pretty good. Just don't know if this is good price for a 16 spline.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Can you not just pull one of the shafts and see? Just a couple of bolts there on the end ant it is out - one of the benefits of a full floater!

If you don't mind, let me know what you find - I am narrowing a 67" wide Dodge front 60 down to 64" for my Toyota, and a 64" wide centered diff rear 60 would be PERFECT!

G

·
call this number 1-419-866-3900 its dana spicers tech number. some of the guys are dic*s so think up a company name before you call cause some of them will only give info to a company. There is a number on the axle tube it is 7 digits and starts with a 6 most of the time this is the BOM (bill of material) with this number they will be able to tell you spline count, exact year, original gear ratio and if has a limited slip or what not.

http://www.bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts