Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been posted before but i can find it anywhere.

What year and make vehicle will have drums or rotors that will fit on my semi floater rear Dana 60?

Finding drums probably wont be a problem but I am concerned about finding 5 on 5.5 rotors. I might go disk or drum brakes, I really haven't decided yet.
They also need to fit in a 15" wheel.

My D60 has the Ford large bearing housing ends if that helps.
Thanks.

Trailhed.com

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Re: Dana 60 with 5on5.5?

the drums you can still purchase from an autoparts store..but they run like $110 a pop.. i searched all over.. and well.. some old mid 70's dodges came close.. but you would have to machine out the center hole.. also.. old early 70's jeeps with d44 fronts.. and drum brakes.. 12x2.. are the same as that d60.. so i had some spares from my axle set..
i havent looked into disk brakes yet for it.. since i havent seen a need..
if you find something out.. id like to know..

http://www.jeepgod.net

If you are allergic to lead, it is best to avoid a war zone

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks jeepgod,
With the Ford housing ends I am hoping for a Ford brake setup?
A drum setup can hopefully be obtained from a Ford truck of some kind with a 9" rear but the rotors are the real gray area. I have never heard of a ford rear disk set up with a 5 on 5.5 pattern.
Machining isn't really a problem hell I have customized just about everything else why not the brakes right?
I will look at the vehicles you mentioned when I hit Pick and Pull this weekend.

Trailhed.com

·
Registered
605 Posts

I have something similar to you. Ford big bearing ends and moser axles with 5 on 5.5. I searched high and low for something that would work. There is nothing factory that I could find. The bronco guys use the weld on caliper brackets, GM calipers, and front CJ rotors. I think this is the route I will go.
Right now I am running drums from a '79 f150. I think they are 11x2.

'79 CJ-7

G

·

I thought I had heard that the Explorer discs were 5*5.5 and pretty easy to make work, but I have no first hand experiance.

'80 CJ7 w/ AMC401, T18a, TeraLo Dana 20, soon to be sprung over w/ dual Dan 60s!!

·
Registered
605 Posts

Explorers have 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.
Here is another option I just found. Ford Racing sells a SVO rear disc kit. Basically the same setup as the explorer. The guys on a ford board I was just at have been buying this kit and redrilling the rotors to 5 on 5.5 for their F150's and broncos.

'79 CJ-7

1 - 6 of 6 Posts