Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What version of the Dana 44 (front and rear) would be the best, in your opinion, to swap into a CJ7 without cutting it down to CJ size. A full width Dana 44 from a full size truck or Dana 44's from a Scout. Also how hard would it be to find either of these axles and does anyone remember how wide full width is. I had the width writen down but I can't find it anymore. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I just finished swapping in a pair of Scout 44s into my CJ. They look and preform great. (The Detroits help too!) Scout axles are not too hard to find and are pretty cheap if you shop around, one guy got his for $60 for both axles!
Seems the going price is $300 to $500 around here. As always, it just depends what YOU want. Ah, the joy of building your own jeep! Good Luck!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I remember the scout axles are 58" wide which is either 4 or 8 inches wider depending on what track width you have. The scout axles came with zero caster until 1980 then I believe they had 3 degrees. The GW also had 58" wide axles (some) and also had caster built in so no grinding and rotating. Hope this helps
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, the Scout II axles I've measured are 60" front from wheel mount flange to WMF and the rear are 58 3/4". Chevy full size 1/2 ton axles are 67.5" wide. Finding a wide (65") Dana 44 limits you to 77-78 Ford F150 1/2T 2wds or J10 rear ends pre-1980. Some front Chevy 44's are 69.5" wide depending on year and if it's 3/4 ton or not. It's pretty confusing actually. The best thing to do is get out the tape measure and start looking at various boneyards. There are few options for a full width rear 44.
Sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.