Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the Junk Yard today getting parts for my D30, I noticed an 87 Grand Wagoneer. It has a D44 front end with discs and locking hubs, has the diff on the driver side, and appears to measure 60". This would be just about perfect for a YJ front axle swap. All of the others (G Wags) were about 66". I didnt notice is the bolt pattern 5 on 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 ? It doesnt really matter as I can easily get 5 on 5 1/2 axles for my Ford 8.8 in the rear. Is it a reverse cut? Is it 30 spline? I dont have access to any of my reference books. I havent heard that much about this potential swap, are there any drawbacks that Im not seeing? At face value it looks like a simple and worthwhile swap. Ive been recently talking to Dynatrac about building me a custom D44, because I wasnt sure if I had the time to perform a drawn out swap, but this looks short and sweet. The owner of the yard and I started talking Jeeps and he quoted me a price of $125 if I would yank it. Ill do my own ARB and R&P set up, along with SOA spring perch mods(except for final welding). What kind of steering mods may be involved ? I have been avoiding any trick steering mods because I was sure I would be swapping my beefed up D30.
Started doing some pricing.
$125 - Axle
$160 - 4.56 R&P
$50 - Install kit
$565 - ARB
Total $900 for the major components how can you go wrong with that?
I could sell my D30 for more than that tommorrow if I needed.
Sorry for the long post but Im kinda excited about this swap and need as much info as possible, Ill probably buy the axle Monday Morning unless the responses all speak of gloom and doom.
Thanks,
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
Jeff there is some write up on this swap some where keep looking.
I think you are looking at 6 bolt rims on this thing. That is what it is
on our 84gw. I never thought about it before but is the rear a d44 or what.
Might have to sale your 8.8 too. and put the GW rear in to fix the bolt hole thing./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
if the diff was on teh driver side Jeff, its a 6 bolt lug patern, but easily converted with Ford F150 hubs and rotors.

Im pretty sure it ISNT reverse rotation, I dont know hte spline count, but thats my swap base for my CJ

all grand wag front ends from 75-91 should be roughly 60 inches, and have disks
75-79 have diff on the passenger side, 80 and later on teh drivers side..

most gear ratios are 3.54 before 80, 2.72 standard, 3.31 ( trailer package yeah right) after 1980...

JK trucks and cherokees use a front dana 44 too, but its more like 66 inches wide, and requires lots of tire stickout or lots of shortening..

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Matt. I was hoping I could swap Ford Hub and rotor parts. I did a little research and found that it is a 30 spline , NO reverse cut. I think Im gonna go for it, I wish the Junk Yard was open so I could take a closer look at the steering. I couldnt hardly sleep last night thinking about the swap, I must be possesed. It looked like some fairly hefty brakes on the that GWag, any specs ?
I think I can have it ready for a swap by next Saturday if there arent any hidden problems,(provided I dont get my Drawings, and Engineering from the Architect and actually have to go back to WORK and finish this project.
I need to replace one of my bead lock rims anyway (more damage from Black Sunday in Bronco Canyon a couple of weeks ago). So I figured Ill buy (2) 5 on 5 1/2 bead locks and an adapter from 5 on 5 1/2 to 5 on 4 1/2 that way I can use the adapter if I need to use a spare in the front. Then Ill replace any busted up rims with the new pattern along with new rear axle shafts, untill They are all in place and the same.
Im learning from you Matt,notice how quickly I steered away from that high dollar Dynatrac unit. Ill still save money even after I have to fly you out to Reno to weld my axles. I might actually make money on this swap, Im pretty sure I can sell my D30 out here for more than Ill pay to swap the D44. Well Im outa here Im doing a run today with a few guys from 4 Wheel parts wholesalers, and Summit racing out here in Sparks, NV. One of the guys has a Sami that everyone calls the Jeep killer, gotta give him credit, his rig is set up well, and he's a very good driver, and the only other rig to follow me into Bronco canyon last time out, he busted a leaf spring, but actually had a much better run through the rocks than I did. We are doing a run called Zoot canyon, everyone in town cringes when I say Im wheelin there today,(if my front axle fails again, I think I'll replace it with a D44).
"THE BEATINGS MUST CONTINUE UNTILL THE MORALE IMPROVES"
Later,
Jeff
89 Wrangler(with GWag D44 front axle ???)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
learning? noway man, your just a natural born cheapass like ME!

you want to ge tthe steering from the wag, its much stronger than the YJ, and even if its all shot youve got a pattern to go from.

the brakes are pretty big, they are standard GM fair calipers $19.99 lifetime warrenty at Autozone, Ive never had to buy a rotor though, they are BARELY suffecient to stop the 5000 LB FSJ, they should work well on smaller jeep!

tell me how it comes out, IM going enxt week to pick up a 81 wag front end for a freind, and start my search for a late 70s wag front end for my own Cj..

later

OzarkJeep

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
hey, matt. let me know what day you are going to the junk yard. i'd like to tag along.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
tomorow after work WILL

give me a call tonight or email, Im leaving straight from work in Chickendale
Monday, I get of at 3:30, well have to shag ass to Rogers since the yard closes at 5..

let me know

OzarkJeep

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I have the same axle sitting in my backyard waiting to go in. The steering looks the same except for one improvement- the tie-rod is 100% stronger and is on TOP of the knuckles, which will improve things if you've got a lifted Jeep.

BTW: call 4xHeaven for your gears in installation kits. They have the gears for $180 including the install kit, carriers are $45 (you said you had an ARB anyhow), and install kits are $90 (which is the same as anywhere else.) They use Dana/Spicer gears and delivery is in ~3 working days.

My Jeep is just a leaky submarine in disquise

G

·
cool, i just picked up my front dana 44 and rear fullsize model 20 from an 82 wagoneer to swap into my yj. i cleaned up the rear, but when i got to the front i found that there was resistance when turning the pinion (not constant, kind of easy hard easy ..wierd) and the manual hubs were in bad shape... anyone know where i can find a sectioned view of an internal manual hub on the net and also, when you buy hubs from warn or whatever, what parts come with them??

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000+ RTI, Warn xd9000i

G

·
I'm just about finished this swap into my own YJ, GW 87 axles. It's a long story, but to make it short:

axles are 1-2 inches wider.
spring perches are 1 inch wider apart.

front:

tie rod ON TOP of knuckles, much stronger. Internal hubs, rather than CJ scout external hubs. LARGER 1/2 ton knuckles and ears than scout 44s, able to support larger tires. 30 spline axles. normal rotation.

Basically, I cut into the housing a little over 1/2 inch, then made a spring plate out of 1/4 material which I welded on top of the original perch 1/2 inch in. Then redrilled the center hole through this new perch.

On the other side, I found a discarded perch, cut it so it was 1/2 inch wide, and welded it onto the inside of the original perch. Put the same 1/4 plate on top of that, drilled hole 1/2 inch inboard. Ground the original perch corners off so the ubolts would slip around them.

Shock mounts are fine the way they are.

Took my pitman arm to a machine shop and had them retaper the hole to match the GW's larger ball joint.

That's it.

(Other than the lockers and gears I installed :) )

Rear:

cut off everything, kept rear perches. I've got the rear in and ready to go, waiting for my friend to come over and weld the perches in the right place for pinion angle.

have to make new shock mounts.

6 on 5.5 wheel bolt pattern (had to buy new wheels).

email me if I can give more info.

[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts