Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What vehicles (if any) had Dana 44 front axles with the diff on the passenger side? I thought that the Scout II's had this, but I keep reading about Dana 33's. Anyone have any info? I'd like to get an idea on what front axles I can swap my D25 out with and keep my Dana 18 xsfer case. This is for a '56 CJ-5 I'm building...TIA

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/t18, 27/44, 2.5", 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Scouts did have the pumpkin on the passenger side. I don't know what year they started putting the 44 in. Prior to the 44, Scouts use the 30 like a CJ. I've never heard of a Dana 33! Also, earlier Wagoneers, Cherokees and J-pickups used the 44 with the pumpkin on the passenger side.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snowtow is right, and to add a couple others to the list are the Chevy Dana 44's and all International vehicles (to my knowledge), and the most Dogde pickup 44's were all on the passenger side. The Full size jeeps changed their diff's to the drivers side from 1980-newer.
Hope this helps
Peanut

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
With regard to Scout's axles, the D44 front was offered as an option from '71-'73, with it being standard in '74, but some D30's were available in '74 (about 30%). All Scout II front axles after '74 were D44's. Flanged rear axles were standard in Scout's from '69 and up, with the change from Powerlok to Trac-Lok between '71 and '73. For more info, visit http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/faq/axles.html. I hope this helps, and yes, they were all on the passengers side.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.