Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled my axles out of the rear of my '91 Waggy 44. The driver side has tapered bearings and the pass side had roller bearings. I'm guessing that the roller isn't stock.

I also can't remove the carrier. I remember reading some tricks that you guys had posted a while back, but I couldn't find them.

I tried using a come-a-long with no avail with the housing attached to one vehicle, and pulled from another with the C-A-L.

What are your tricks?

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Please clarify the bearing business. All roller wheel bearings are tapered. It has either a tapered roller bearing or a ball bearing. They should be roller bearings. Couls one be sealed and the other not?

The factory approved method for removing the carrrier is with a housing spreader. It's a three-bar contraption in a U shape. The middle of the leg bars are bolted to the housing cover plate bolt holes. Then a threaded piece goes between the open ends of the U. Turning a nut forces the legs apart, and levers the opening out a few thousandths. Then the carrier comes right out. I can post a picture from the FSM later.

The Jeeper-approved method involves large hammers. Someone else can explain that.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One bearing is a standard tapered, the other is a flat roller with cylindrical barrels with the outer cup part of the bearing assembly. Neither are sealed toward the inside. I'll post some pics tonight when I get home.

Thanks Jim. I don't have access to a spreader, so I'm looking for a jeeper approved method.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Jim, I have seen the newer roller bearing as well.. they really aren't tapered. It was pretty strange last year when I went to replace the bearings in my rear d-44 and napa gave me... well.. some new fangled thing. it fit good and has been in there over a year, but it doesn't look like a tapered bearing.
FWIW, I have had the ball bearing type bearing too, so I know what they are.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have seen different style bearings on the same axle. it can be as simple as 2 different brands of bearing. Usually someone replaced one side only.

I wouldn't sweat it. Replace them as necessary.

The thing to be aware of is that on the side that you see the rollers, it is probably because the race is still in the tube.
It will take a decent puller (Slide hammer) to get it out.

My trick for getting the carrier out is to use your basic crowbar (or roller head bar) and pry out on the head of a ring gear bolt with the short end of the prybar. Works great. I do most of them this way, and I do have a housing spreader.

Now my question is...

Why do you want/need to remove the carrier?

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have access to a spreader, so I'm looking for a jeeper approved method.

[/ QUOTE ]

All it takes to make a spreader is a few pieces of flat bar stock, a drill and some bolts. If you understand the principal you could probably make one out of Tuba Fours.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you want/need to remove the carrier?

[/ QUOTE ]

New gears/E-Locker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
All it takes to make a spreader is a few pieces of flat bar stock, a drill and some bolts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I've contiplated building one for some time. I've got the steel (at least most of it) and the thread joint for expansion, just not the time. However, I'm sure all of the time I've blown on trying to yank this carrier, I could've had the spreader built. I'll give it a few more valiant attempts before I break down and do it right.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got'er out. Stuffed a shop rag towards the pinion, and spun the pinion in the reverse direction. When the rag became smashed between the teeth, the carrier popped right up without too much effort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts