Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of buying the 4wd hardware dana 44 front end from currie. It's the one you use your steering knuckles out. It's around $1100 and I don't know if it's worth it. I still have to buy ring and pinions and a carrier but the 10% sale sounds pretty good. I just broke the u-joint on my 30 and took both axle shafts with it, and I have to change the gears and carrier anyway so this is probally the best time to do this. I was thinking ethier going to the 44 or buying the warn heavy duty shafts. I just wandered if anyone has used these products or would recommend something else. I run 35's with a well built 401 so I need some beef but can't afford a 60.

78 CJ-7/401/TH400/Quadratrac/35" BFG AT'S

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
hey there nick.. well sounds like you are prepared to drop some doe.. i would try to get one from a junkyard.. and rebuild it.. take more time than cash.. and you could do the whole thing for under a 1100 bucks.. we just did a 79 scout dana 44 front for Elusive.. cut it 3" and turned the knuckles.. detroit locker and everything.. email me or him if you want more details...

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
$1100 to spend...hmmmm

buy a wag front end $150-300, move the spring mounts outboard, and bolt it in...

pretty cheap if you can weld or arent afraid to learn

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I went the D30 build up route, Im ambarrased to say how much I have in this D30. It started out simple enough, but eventualy if you keep building up the rest of your rig its bad money on bad money. I started with Warn hubs to strengthen the outer axles, facilitate flat towing and prepare for a full locker( I had installed an EZ locker already),then I went to an ARB with 4.56 gears and High strength Warn inner axles, Now I have $$$$ and I just snapped the passenger side inner axle 2 weeks ago. I am now talking to Dynatrac about a 44 and will have a D30 with all the bells and whistles for sale in about 8 weeks. I would like to build one but the YJ has less options and Im within a few weeks of finishing the job Im on in Reno, and have no idea where Im going next,(bad time to start a project).
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not that easy, It can't stick out the fender well's and has to be 5 bolt

78 CJ-7/401/TH400/Quadratrac/35" BFG AT'S

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
a wag front end isnt very wide, the proper offset wheels wont stick out at all

or get wider flares

the dana 30 knuckles and disks bolt on, so there is your 5 bolt pattern

even if you wanted to narrow the wag front end your only in it for a few hundred bucks, use the rest of the money to buy lots of BEER

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I'haven't done this yet, but since nobody has mentioned it..... What I have heard is to use a wag or similar front end and use either the wag or Chevy calipers and ford rotors. This way you have strength from diff to hub. I was planning to get a wide Wag axle at about65" and cut it down to 60 or 61. Basically cut off the ammount that the spring perches differ by. This way you only have to move one perch. Not sure if this is too wide for you.

The other option is to buy a narrow track Wag axle at around 60" and cut it down to stock size. If you go to a u-pull it type place they can be had for about $60. I actually got my rear 44 out of a scout during a sale for $20. I didn't really need it, but it was in better shape than my model 20 plus it had a trac-loc and 3.73's in it.

With the hybrid set up I think you need some special bearings. I have the numbers somewhere. If you want them email me

Hope this helps and good luck

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.