Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case someone was wondering what it costs to get an axle and housing narrowed, here is what I paid. Keep in mind I had the axle housing completely torn down (which means I used my die grinder to cut the shock brackets and the spring pad on the long side off), and garden hose cleaned everything with Simple Green. I only needed the long side of my front Dana 44 narrowed by 4 1/4", nothing was done to the short side. Check the housing for being straight, cut and weld the long side "C" bracket, 1.75 hours (shop rate $65/HR). Weld spring pad to the narrowed long side .25 hours, spring pad $8 Total $138.00

I'll need to get the inner axle shaft cut and resplined $50.
dave

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
That doesn't sound very expensive. They reweld the steering knuckle on? How do you measure for the axleshaft length? And pics?

Now search friendly!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, no pics./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I had a local 4X4 shop do the housing narrowing. The 4X4 shop has a large lathe that can machine off the weld of the "C" bracket. The lathe is able to hold an entire axle housing. After the "C" bracket weld is machined off, the "C" bracket is pulled off the axle tube. The tube was cut, then the "C" bracket was pressed back onto the tube and welded.

As for the measurements, I installed the Ford hubs on to the spindle/knuckle assembly and measured from the spring pad center to the wheel mount of the short side. I then did the math to get long side spring pad center to wheel mount figured out, including the distance between the two spring pad centers for the center section.
dave

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
i just got my axleshafts back from moser this week... should get the front end together tonight.. i cut the tubes, removed the knuckles... everything except the axle shafts that i sent to moser... it cost me $117 for shipping the 31 pound axle shafts both ways, and getting them both cut and resplined. total cost for cutting it down was under $150 with grinder wheels and such..

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i just got done doing the same thing. I am just waiting for currie to send me a new axle. Believe it or not they had the best price at 125 bucks. Once the new axle comes in i will send them the old one to cut so i have a spare i think they charge 50 bucks to cut and respline a axle.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts