Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of rebuilding a Dana 300 transfer case. The problem with the case is that it slips out of gear when going down a hill. Or whenever there is back pressure from the engine. I have the case apart now and a visual inspection doesnt show anything to be wrong. What should I look at to fix this problem?

Thanks, Jacob

81 CJ5 w/SOA and 302
2000 TJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Look at the shift linkage, shift fork, and shift fork inserts. Worn inserts are usually the culprit causing partial engagement, but worn or damaged linkage or a cracked fork can also cause the T-case to partially engage and then kick out under load. If these are OK then look for abnormal wear on the gears. If none of these seem to be your problem then the disengageing you experienced was probably caused by excess tolerances due to worn bearings. Pay close attention when reassembling and be sure to get all tolerances set to spec. What can happen if tolerances are too great is the gear deflects a little bit in relation to the shaft. This changes the angle of the teeth and when under load it can "spit" the T-case out of gear.

My other car is a BULLDOZER

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
You don't specify if you're twin sticked or not. My older brother is running a Scout II D300 that worked fine with the single stick but does the same thing you describe when he twin sticked it. The front and rear pop out at random, but more often when going down hill under backpressure. As to why, I have no idea, just thought I'd throw a little something into the mix...

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a 85 Cherokee with the same problem (under warranty at the time). What the problem was that the boot was too stiff and
caused the transmission to disengage. Once the boot was changed all problems were gone. GOOD LUCK!

82CJ5 Laredo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.