Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the new issue of 4WD& SU and they were showing them adding another index hole on Atlas T-Case so they could rotate the unit for more clearance. Has anyone ever tried to do same to the 300? I have a spare unit I was entertaining the idea with, but before I Leaped into an area I know little about I figured I would ask the question on the board. It looked like a great idea since the 300 hangs down and bashes rocks and things.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Dana 300

I indexed the D300 on my CJ7. I have the NV4500 trans., so I redrilled the adapter instead of the D300. The skidplate/crossmember
is now flat all the way across.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Gary -

How many degrees did you rotate the D300 up? Did you run into clearance problems between the mount for the shift linkage and the side of the transmission?

Do you have any pictures? I am in the middle of an engine swap, and using a SM465... It looks like it would be pretty easy to index the D300 up a few degrees by redrilling the adapter like you did...

Thanks

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
My jeep page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

rkcrawl, what I did was have the engine and mounted, stuck the xfercase on the adapter, put the twinstick shifter on the xfercase, then
rotated the xfercase til the shifter hit the under side of the body and then backed it off for clearance. At this point I marked the hole loca-
tions, pulled the xfercase and drilled the adapter. Sorry I don't have any pics.

Gary

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
You can just rotate it one hole and mount it back up with 5 studs instead of 6. I know a few folks running like this with no problems and they don't baby their Jeeps. I'll be dropping my drivetrain into my Scrambler with the D300 clocked in a couple of weeks and can take some decent pics with the body off.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Did clocking the xfer case affect the drive shafts at all..?

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have the 4-Plus twin-stick kit on mine which gives you a new stick that mounts where the original one is and then you remount the original one outboard of the bracket on the passenger side. With this setup and no indexing, the new stick sat perfectly but the original stick was angled off toward the passenger side a bit and interfered with flipping the passenger seat forward. Once I index it, the original stick should fit perfectly and I'll probably pull the original stick off another D300 I have sitting on the floor and swap in with the one from the kit for a perfect match-up.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I indexed the D300 mated to my T-18 by drilling the adapter. Indexed it nearly level. Made up for the 1" I had to lower the trans/tcase so my rear driveshaft wouldn`t bind. I came up with my own twin stick setup using two stock D300 shifters. All of it`s working pretty good so far.

Jeff
`75 CJ-5, 304, T-18/D300,
SOA w/YJ springs, D30/D44,
still under construction

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Actually, I've got my engine and trans bolted together sitting on a dolly and could pop the t-case on and take pictures this evening or tomorrow now that I think about it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
AustnJPR, what are you wanting details on, the tcase indexing or the home built twin stick?

Jeff
still under construction

·
Registered
143 Posts
AustnJPR, I really don`t know how Jeepskate or anybody else did their`s but this was the easiest way for me. It`s really not hard with the AA adapter, but my tranny and tcase were sitting on my workbench when I done this. I got 6 set screws with cone shaped ends the same size as the holes in your tcase mounting flange. After removing the tcase remove the studs, usually there`s 2 of them. Install the set screws BACKWARDS, so the cone shaped ends are pointing outwards. Screw them in till the points on them barely stick out from the tcase. Install the tcase on the tranny enough so the bearing retainer on the tcase will center itself in the adapter and the set screws will meet the adapter flange. Index the tcase up where you want it and take a rubber hammer and hit the tcase so the set screws will make indentions into the adapter where you need to drill the new holes. The AA adapter has webbing cast into it so 2 of the 6 holes fell on these webs. I`ve heard about other people just using 4 or 5 bolts to hold the tcase on without any problems, but I drilled and tapped a couple holes in my tcase to be able to use 6 bolts and studs. After indexing the tcase your shifter will be pointed towards the driver side instead of upwards. Just take it somewhere that has an acetylene and get them to heat the shifter handle and bend it where you want it. You might want to take the plastic shifter handle bushings out from around the the shifter shaft before you heat it though. If you have any more questions just let me know. Hope this helps. BTW, the tranny crossmember and skid plate on my 75 is 2 separate pieces, not a 1 piece likes on your Jeep, so I wouldn`t be much help there.

Jeff
still under construction

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.