Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say all! I'm trying to help a friend with his cherokee. I know, I know, this isn't a cherokee page but, this site is o' so much more informative. My friends cherokee is not engaging in 4WD. The light is coming on but, no front axle engagement /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif. I was wandering what we could check, vacuum leaks?, trolls?, secret Klintonian strategy to make 4WD ineffective? /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif I'm leaning to this last one, HA! Anyway, just wandering what I should check first as it's really cold outside here in TN and I don't really like to work on vehicles when I can't even grasp a wrench. Thanks for the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You didn't say what year Cherokee you friend has. If it is an earlier one with the split right-side shaft, the vacuum dashpot may not be actuating. Check for vacuum at the vacuum line, and pay attention to the dashpot to see if it actuates.

Hewgag

Right Wrongs Nobody

· Registered
1,736 Posts
If it's the same vacuum type system as the YJ, the light will only come on after the vacuum motor has gone thru it's motion - thus pointing to a broken finger on the motor that slides the sliding spline. (as the motor is going thru its motion, but not moving the sliding thing). You can take off the vac motor, I think it's only like 4 bolts, and see if the finger is busted.

Just my guess
Good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the lack of info. It's a 1987 Jeep Cherokee 4.0. Who sells either total actuator boxes or repair kits for the "finger". C'mon guys can somebody give me a finger /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

· Registered
1,736 Posts
If that is indeed what is wrong with it, I think you'll find that the vac motor is not cheap. Hopefully you can just replace the finger if it's broke. (not sure how much the finger is - try a Jeep dealer ) You may want to consider a Big Dick's Rock Lock, which is a manual, cable thing from Big Dicks Suspension, where you replace the sometimes troublesome vacuum disconnect with a manual control, kind of like a manual choke cable, I guess, that attaches to the finger. I believe that kit is a few hundred bucks too though. I think there is a write up on it somewhere here in Off-Road.com I know they have that for YJs, again, not sure about the cherokee.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

· Registered
3,412 Posts
It sounds to me that the problem is that the shift collar is stuck on the axle half shaft splines due to a lack of lubrication. The "finger" (actually it is called a shift fork) may not be broken, just may have came out of the groove on the center of the collar that it should ride in. The 4wd light working would be an indication that the vacuum motor is functioning properly. Remove the entire assembly from the passenger side axle tube and take a look. The assembly is in a sealed chamber so you won't lose diff fluid but there is some old liquid grease in there. Try to move the collar back and forth by hand and if it's stuck, free it by tapping on it gently with a long screwdriver and hammer. Then grease the splines real good, working the collar back and forth in order to work the grease under the collar. Make sure the shift fork is ok and replace it if it is broken(from a Jeep dealer). Put it back together, making sure that the fork goes back into the collar center groove.

I had this problem with my 86 XJ. I now grease the splines once or twice a year and have had no additional problems. Good Luck!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.